New Update - missing the option to open multiple sheets at the same time!

Ella
Ella ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Completely taken aback by the new update. Not only the multiple tabs will be more cumbersome to manage, but I do not see the option to open multiple sheets at the same time and this feature was heavily used in our organization. Smartsheet is this feature gone? If so, could you please bring it  back? 

Comments

• I second this. 

This feature was heavily used by my Team, and while the Recent section does have this functionality (more or less) it's added 2 additional clicks to get to another sheet. 

Please add some tabs like we had before for quick access. 

• absolutely agree!  This new update is actually making it harder to navigate vs. easier.  Additional clicks are needed.  Certainly not more efficient

• Garmon D
    Garmon D ✭✭✭

Thirded. I've had a couple of conversations today with users about the changes, and there's a level of frustration with the new layout, that it's more cumbersome than the previous one. 

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/14/18

The new interface is much more cumbersome and requires more clicking, takes up more real estate and why can't I have multiple sheets open and visible?  Please stop messing with interface and starting working on all the requested enhancements.  This is so bad I'm looking for something else to use, suggestions welcomed.

EDIT:  To have a sheet and report (or additional sheet) open at same time, you have to right click and open it in a new Browser tab.  

Really, the more I try to work with it, the more awkward and cumbersome it is.

• Hi Ella—

Now that all of your Smartsheet items have direct links, you can bookmark the items that you have open in your browser (just as you would with any other site). Most browsers have an option for you to organize your bookmarks into folders and then you can open every bookmarked item at the same time with a single click! 

I'm using Chrome on a mac, so I open my bookmark folders by holding Command then clicking on the folder (it's in my bookmarks bar at the top of my browser). I'm going to guess that you can do this by holding Ctrl and clicking on Windows.

I found a Google forum post on how to create bookmark folders in Chrome: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/yKeP1tdVNQI

Cheers

• Ella
    Ella ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Shaine, this is a workaround for sure, however i sincerely dislike having that many browser tabs open across my screen. In addition, I need to open different multiple sheets depending on what I am working on, it seems inefficient to me to open every single sheet, bookmark it and work on creating Browser Folders in order to be able to utilize this feature. Considering that it took me ~ 30 min to figure this out and create a folder for just 10 sheets, I am afraid our users will not be happy with the new training they need to go through which makes me really unhappy.

I am also using Firefox, so if anyone wants to try this - hold CTRL and click on the Bookmarks Folder to open the multiple sheets in it.

• Worst update yet. Thanks for telling me that instead of having 1 tab for smartsheet and 15 other tabs for everything else I use plus the IE I have to keep open with 10 tabs running in that too, on 3 screens, now I have to open a billion smartsheet tabs to manage the 30+ sheets, reports, etc. 

Keep your update, but allow us a "Classic" option for the tabs. This update does not work for me, nor the 125 other people using this product with 600+ sheets and reports and dashboards. This downgrade has me wondering if there is a competing product that would allow me to migrate my entire portfolio into.

• Karen B
    Karen B ✭✭

Smartsheet - this is a disaster.

Like Ella, Dan and some of the other users commenting here, our company has been using the multiple tab feature extensively to quickly open and review all projects in a particular workbook before moving onto the next set of projects. In fact, this functionality was one of the deciding factors when we signed up to Smartsheet in the first place.

PLEASE RESTORE THIS FUNCTIONALITY AS A MATTER OF URGENCY! 

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You guys already had direct links available for the sheets by simply getting the sharing link from the sheet properties.

The feature was already there but you dropped out features that we use every day in every workspace to highlight features that we only use once in a while.

Seems like you could have had the direct links with filters integrated much better if you had just kept the existing system and had it show the direct link instead of the previous one.  Now we all have to work harder to make up for what you took away.

Bad form!

• h1pst3r
    h1pst3r
    edited 12/27/18

This has instantly made my life and my users lives harder... this change cripples the way we work!

This would almost be fine *IF* I could simply right click on a sheet and say "open in new tab" however that menu option is not available when in Smartsheet (using Chrome on a Win10 machine right now).

Are you seriously telling us that we need to bookmark the sheets first and then open those bookmarks in multiple tabs?? If so, that is the dumbest implementation I have ever seen... what were the product managers and developers thinking; that's moronic.

You *MUST* restore the ability to use the old in-app tabs or at least properly implement the new multi-tab mode.

As others have said, this is a flop at best and a massive swing-and-miss that is directly impeding productivity at worst. 

Terrible!

• AGREE! Not happy with the redesign and would prefer the classic. This redesign does not make sense. Please consider going back.

• Yes! Please roll back the interface, leave it alone, and work on the requested enhancements.

• Mtmoroni
    Mtmoroni ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto.  Theres nothing new for me to say.  This has made it more cumbersome.  Sure, the direct links are decent, but that link is only avalible to those that can see the sheet, which should be properly in a workspace that they can easily navigate to.

I look forward to the day that we get to revert back.

• Please listen to the many users who have requested bringing back this feature.  A program I was learning to love has now become a program I dread navigating in.

• I keep thinking smartsheet will fix this. Definitely a step backwards for the interface.