How do I make a direct connection from my sharepoint list to smartsheets?

Options
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I am a sharepoint user that exports information into an excel spreadsheet. How do I use that connection to export straight to a smartsheet?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

How much information and how often?

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Jacob Taylor
    Options

Any update on the inquiry? I'm looking for something similar. Frequency would be once or twice daily, with the exception of a trigger for changes to the data structure inside of Sharepoint.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Jacob,

Microsoft Flow has an integration.

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/shared_sharepointonline/sharepoint/

Would that work?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Did you get it working?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée

• Luke Clemens
    Options

I don't think flow will be able to help if you're trying to update a Smartsheet with a Sharepoint list's contents because if you look at the "Actions" section of the Smartsheet flow connector APi at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/smartsheet/ , you'll see that nearly all the functions are read-only. The only function that actually edits a sheet's main content is "Insert row", but that isn't going to be very useful since there are no functions to clear the table, delete rows, or update rows. If you look at the Flow connector for Excel, there are functions to delete rows and update rows, which is why it's possible to update an Excel file's contents from a Sharepoint list. Maybe someday Microsoft and Smartsheet will get together and update their APIs to allow developers to synchronize between Sharepoint lists and Smartsheets? For now... I'm still looking for a solution.

• Sheryl P
    Sheryl P ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Luke Clemens - I have a similar process where I use DataMesh to go from a "staging table" where PowerAutomate inserts the rows, but I am definitely ,issuing some of the automations to trigger a "move rows" after processing - so I don't have duplicates in source sheet - I recently attended a Bridge panel discussion and I hope Bridge or even Data Uploader have some of the triggers/actions we are looking for. I'm interested if you find a solution.

• Luke Clemens
    Options

@Sheryl P

We did find a slightly hacky solution that was suggested to us by Smartsheet support. Overall, it's not the most efficient, but it gets the job done. Ideally having a "delete row" or "edit row" function would be more desirable.

What we did was make a Flow that triggers whenever a SharePoint list item is modified or created, and then dump the columns we want into a csv file on Box. Smartsheet has a function to detect whenever a file within a folder on Box has changed, and it will then re-import it. So here is what the flow looks like:

There is another guy in our organization who setup the Smartsheet import function, so I'm not exactly sure how he did it, but they said it was pretty easy to do.

There is no option to trigger whenever a SharePoint list is "saved", since SharePoint lists don't really have a "save" function - they update every edit. If you put the SharePoint list into grid mode and then edit 5 of the cells, the flow will run 5 times, and the csv file will increase its version number 5 times - so it's terribly inefficient as far as bandwidth and disk usage goes, but believe it or not, it works well enough to get the job done in our situation.

• Sheryl P
    Sheryl P ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Luke Clemens - Don't you just love adding an extra tool as a stepping stone to where you should be able to get directly!