Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Folders for Workspaces

Options

From what I can tell, we can add folders to workspaces but we can't add workspaces to folders. If it's not already added to future development, I would like to see a way to add workspaces to folders so that I don't have to scroll through 20-30 workspaces to find the one I need to be in. Something similar to virtual solution folders in a Visual Studio solution project. They are not really folders but it gives me a way to seperate projects in a solution. See image below.

For example, we have 16 workspaces related to new product development. Because I'm set as a collaborator since I'm in the IT group, I see all of them, but I never do anything in them. I want to be able to create a folder and move those 16 workspaces into that folder so that I can collapse the folder and not have to see those 16 workspaces.

Example VS Virtual Folders.JPG

Tags:

Comments

• Jeremy Myers
    Jeremy Myers ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

+1 Vote for Christine's request.

Also need to properly reproduce the file structure when in the report generator.  As it is currently configured, the report generator just slings all the files into a root level view in the <where> selector box which is pretty confusing.  

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 01/20/17
    Options

Hi All—

We currently don't have functionality for placing workspaces inside folders but I've got your votes down for this on our enhancement request list for further consideration.

• Matt Stofka
    Matt Stofka ✭✭✭✭
    Options

+1 for the ability to nest workspaces...and it'd also be cool to set sharing at a folder level.  I have several workspaces for projects and often need to share only a folder within a workspace instead of having to invite them to each sheet individually.

• Christine Mick
    Options

I believe the reason we have so many workspaces is because there is a limit on how many files can be in a workspace. So having the ability to group them would be great.

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

+1 for this.  Sharing for folders, and workspaces in folders (or sub-workspaces)

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Matt, Christine, & Brad—

I hear you. I'd like this feature in the application as well. I've added all of your votes (and mine) to our enhancement request list. Matt, I've got your vote down for functionality to share folders as well.

Thanks for the input!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Christine,

There is a limit on files in a workspace?

What is the limit?

I've never hit it.

Also,

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/what-maximum-number-attachments-allowed-sheet

and

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/518408-uploading-attachments

say there is no limit.

Craig

• Christine Mick
    Options

The links you have posted are related to attachments within a file. I'm talking about the actual files  within a workspace.

I'm guessing it depends on the company and what server the company files are on. I was not involved in setting up the workspaces. There may not necessarily be a limit on how many, but it may have been a performance issue. At a certain number of files (or perhaps amount of data within those files), the site becomes sluggish and non-responsive.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Christine,

If you aren't talking about attachments, then I don't know what you mean by "file".

Craig

• Christine Mick
    Options

What do you call what you put in a workspace if it's not called a file?

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

A folder, a sheet, a template, or a report.

Craig

• Andres Pimentel
    Options

Another vote from me on this.

• Chase Arthur
    Options

I'd like to add a vote for being able to collapse/organize multiple Workspaces.

When we started managing projects in Smartsheet, it was simple to scroll down and find programs and projects by "Finance - Project 1, HR - Project 2, Operations - Project 3," etc., but now that we're trying to roll out PPM across the enterprise, this just doesn't scale for us. It's becoming too cluttered.

The way that our dashboards are setup like a site, each project is it's own Workspace. It's getting quite chaotic on the back end.

• jw_pm
    jw_pm ✭✭✭
    Options

+1 for me on the ability to organize and group workspaces.

• beakin
    beakin ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm adding my vote to see that these items are addressed:

• Nesting workspaces (with the ability to share at each workspace level differently)
    • Sharing at the folder level
    • Also, currently when sharing a single sheet with a user, they have to go find it in their Sheets folder - which is messy, especially if they have access to multiple sheets accross all kinds of different processes. Is there any way to make this cleaner? Maybe they could access the sheet in the context of the full workspace - even if they don't have access to see the other content in the workspace.

As a side note, we have been engaging with the team to look at the potential of using Control Center. I was really hoping Control Center would be able to make this better but apparently it would be the same disorganized way of sharing - this is a big bummer for us.

This discussion has been closed.