Update Columns in Existing Row Using Forms

John.Bruzza
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I have a sheet where I am tracking construction progress.  There are a lot of data/calculations that my field personnel do not need.  I want a simple interface for them to update data (% Complete, Actual Date Completed, etc.)  Each row is auto-numbered for tracking.

Is there a method for a form or process to create forms that uses the Item # (which was auto-numbered when the line item was created) to provide updated information?

Comments

• Lachlan Stead
    Lachlan Stead ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When you say use the item number to provide updated information, what do you mean... could you expand a little on what you are wanting to achieve please. 

Do you mean trigger an update request to the relevant individuals with only certain rows showing?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi John,

I agree with Lachlan, can you describe your process in more detail? That would make it easier to help.

The options I would consider with the information at hand would be automatic update requests coupled with a form to be able to trigger the update request manually if needed.

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ezra
    Ezra ✭✭✭

If you use Control Center...

Create a report that only looks at the intake/summary sheets (assuming you link them back to the project data/summary pages) and grab the columns that you want the user to be able to edit (i.e. client name/addy/phone, GC info, payment due dates....).

• I'm thinking like how a database update form would work.  There would be a drop down list of the Item # (which is currently set as an "Auto-Number" field).  Then when the specific line item is selected, someone could update relevant information that could not be provided at the time of initial entry.

• We need this, too. @John.Bruzza - Did you ever find a solution?

• I need this as well, want my employees to be able to pull up a single row by entering a specific row identifier, then I want to control what data fields are displayed from that row and allow them to update those fields and only those fields. I do not want them to be able to see the entire sheet, but i need them to be able to update specific fields in a row.

Thanks

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

One option would be to have a form feeding a separate sheet. This form would only require an email address and row ID to be entered.

Then on the sheet you want users to be able to update, you would use cross sheet formulas to pull the email for the most recent request and a counter to see how many times that row has been requested.

Finally on the sheet to be updated you would set up an automatic Update Request to be sent out with the trigger being the counter column changing and sending to the email address in that row.

• MelodyD
    MelodyD ✭✭✭

I think the end result is no matter how small the editing, filtering the editing, putting it on a dashboard etc. I don't want to edit a sheet scrolling across # columns. I think at least allowing a form column to exist for each row just like the dashboard link, or the sheet link - have a form link connected to the Smartsheet rowid, then I can open that link and it provide a form with the row contents. I know you can go to card view, but it only shows certain rows and it's one more step to nothing. Having a form to edit a row can be done in project, excel, access even handmade. With all of the features Smartsheet has, I am surprised at the understanding of how important it is to have a form you can open attached to a row or a filter form to edit a row.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MelodyD If you open up the row options by right clicking on the row number, there should be an option to edit the row. When editing a row this way, it shows up more like a form rather than going left to right.