Percentage Command Issue

Options
Bruce Venhuizen
Bruce Venhuizen ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

How do I formulate a percentage in cell "Total Percentage" using division formula based on data from "Total Score" cell? 

The "Total Score" cell correctly shows a result of 43. What I want to do is divide that number (43) by 50 with the end result of 86% displaying within another cell called "Total Percentage."

Total Score cell has existing formula below which extracts only the number from each of my ten survey question responses. 

=SUM(VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #1]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #2]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #3]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #4]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #5]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #6]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #7]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #8]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #9]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #10]1, 1)))

See attached screenshot.

Thank you

2019-08-14_11-12-31.jpg

Comments

• Vesta
    Options

Hi Bruce,

That total score formula is a doozy!  I tested a way to turn your 43 into an 86%, and came up with a much simpler formula... =[Total Score]1 / 50.  Then just format the Total Percentage column as a % from the tool bar, and it should work just fine for you. Hope this helps!

Vesta

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Basically what Vesta said.

Take your current formula and then add 

/ 50

to the end of it.

=current_formula / 50

=SUM(VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #1]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #2]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #3]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #4]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #5]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #6]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #7]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #8]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #9]1, 1)), VALUE(LEFT([Survey Question #10]1, 1))) / 50

This will give you a decimal which will convert to a percentage once you format the column as such.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!