Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Duration in months

Gally Gabbay
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

How can I set the Duration column to be in months, instead of days, weeks...?

thanks

Gally

Comments

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Gally,

You cannot change the default duration.  Months is not an option.

From the help:

Duration

Duration represents the amount of time a task is expected to take. Click on the Duration cell of a sub-task and type in the length of time. You can use a few different formats:

• Weeks (e.g. 2w)
    • Whole working days (e.g. 4d)
    • Partial working days (e.g. 3.5d)
    • Hours (e.g. 7h).
    • Minutes (e.g. 60m)
    • Seconds (e.g. 500s) and milliseconds (e.g. 50000ms)
    • A combination of hours, minutes, seconds and milliseconds (e.g. 4h 30m)
    • Elapsed time (lead with an e to indicate duration in elapsed time e.g. e3d, e5h, e3.5d, etc). A task with a duration in elapsed time ignores non-working time. The task will start and end in the amount of time specified regardless of working day length and non-working days in the sheet.
  • J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I don't want a "month" duration.

Is that 4 weeks or the same day next month?

The second means my end may be on a weekend.

And that some months are longer than others (in effort).

And what about Jan 30th and 31st? Do those end in March?

I do want an easier way to have tasks start on the same day each month (first working Monday for example)

Another note that is sometimes obscured is that the duration of a day can be changed (ie does not need to be an 8 hour day). This is on the sheet level.

Craig

• I would like to see "month" as a duration option.  It might not be for everyone but when you are managing a portfolio of projects over several years the month duration is very useful.  And, if  like me, you use more than one PM software, and that other one has 'months' as an option, it becomes somewhat painful to import/export between the two.  Smartsheet, can you add 'Month' to the duration please!

Many thanks,

Paul  

• I agree with Paul, I need the month duration as well.

• I would also really appreciate a month duration option for longer term planning. Frequently we plans in months and quarters.

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that months would be useful for longer projects with longer duration tasks. bearing in mind that Duration is work time it should not be to difficult for Smartsheet to include it and for you to set the default number of working days in a month (As they do in MS Project).

Example 24 or 25 days for a 5 day week or 28 or 29 for a 6 day working week.  Whatever you as your organisation require as the default.

With regard to exporting, you may be able to have an extra column that calculates the Months into days or visa versa specially for the exporting/importing of Project data

• I would also like to see a month duration option.  Looks like the last comment was back in April 2018.  Has anyone heard a response from Smartsheet on this?

• Would like to see this as well

This discussion has been closed.