Smartsheet skips rows with new form entries

Options
James Tanner
James Tanner Overachievers Alumni

Hi, I've sporadically experienced that when new form entry is added to the bottom of the sheet, it doesn't go right below the previous one, it skips say 5 or 6 rows and then gets added. This doesn't happen when the new form entry is added to the top of the sheet. This causes the sheet formulas not to carry over to the new entry since it's not added right below.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks, James

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The form entry will populate the first UNUSED row. Not necessarily the first EMPTY row.

If there was data in the row before that was deleted, then the row is still considered used and will not be populated by a form. You would need to delete the row itself instead of just deleting the data from the cells.

• James Tanner
    James Tanner Overachievers Alumni
    Options

@Paul Newcome Never knew that before, thanks for your quick reply! Is there a reason why smartsheet is designed that way?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It goes to the next unused row so that it does not overwrite any data. That is much easier than having to inspect every single column on a row by row basis looking for one that has no data in it. Doing it that way could have forms inserting new rows in the middle of a sheet if data was deleted from a row or opens up room for more issues/bugs by missing data.

It is just easier and much safer to look for an unused row.

At least that is my assumption. I can't say for sure that's what it is, but it seems like a pretty safe assumption to me.