Is there any way to assign group of people to any task?

For example i want to sales team to assign the task.And when i have mentioned current user selection in the report any one who is the part of sales team can see the tasks assigned to the team along with the tasks assigned to that particular user.

Answers

• Hi Rakesh,

There currently isn't a way to assign a group to a task as you've described, please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment!

As an alternate option, you could allow the Contact column to have multiple contacts and select the people in the group all in the same cell. This would then show that row for the individual when they look at the Report. You could have a chart at the top of the sheet with the contacts for each group so that you could easily copy/paste all of the contacts associated.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• I can add only 20 contacts what if the team has more than 20 contacts?

• Hi Rakesh,

You're correct, at this time there is a limit of 20 contacts in one cell (our Help Center has more information on how to assign a task to multiple people, see here).

If your team is more than 20 contacts, you may want to designate one team email address/account for that team. You could then create a report that shows the Current User along with showing any rows associated with the Team in general, as well. Keep in mind that any alerts/emails going to contacts in a cell would then email the generic email address instead of specific people though.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• That's a very helpful hint. Thank you for that. I was wondering whether in the meanwhile it is possible to increase the maximum number of contacts that can be assigned to a task. Background is, that I want to assign a small notification workflow behind the task and I need to include everyone in that notification. It is nearly impossible to create a common inbox for them as they are not even working for the same company :-).

• Hi @leonalpin

There currently isn't a way to increase the number of contacts to be over 20 per cell.

However for your automation, you could have multiple Contact columns (perhaps split up by area of business or company). Then you can add extra actions to your workflow to send to each column. This will allow you to have a custom message per-column as well.

If all these contacts are shared to the sheet, an alternative would be to send the row to "everyone shared to the sheet".

See: Customize the content of your alerts and requests and Action blocks: Specify what kind of automation is triggered

Cheers,

Genevieve