How to Back-up Sheets?

Is there is a backup in the cloud of our sheets? Do you have any recommendations to prevent loss of data should something happen? Should we be saving a back up daily or regularly?

Best Answers

Answers

• Bee Ng
    Bee Ng ✭✭✭

Hi Stephanie,

Not sure if you found what you needed, but if you are using the standard backup option that Andrée shared, you may have discovered that it lacks certain functionality, and has some limitations. For example, the backups are all in Excel format, and you lose a lot of sheet information. Also, there is no way to schedule a recurring daily backup, etc.

If you need more than that, then you may want to check out SmartBackup from AcuWorkflow. SmartBackup creates full-fidelity backups of your sheets, including all data, formatting, cell links, formulas, attachments, comments, forms, and automation rules, etc. This means you can easily restore any of these sheet elements, and you are not limited to when you can take backups - you can schedule daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, or any frequency - and you can choose to backup all your sheets, or only recently changed sheets.

It also includes an Archive function, and an Export function - these save copies to your local drive, but go further than the standard backup function, and also allow you to export attachments as well, etc.

You can download the free Starter Edition to test and evaluate, or you can purchase the full Business Edition here:

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bee

• marc4
    marc4 ✭✭✭✭

We use the scheduled backups but the problem is that we want them off of Smartsheet's servers and not to do things manually, so:

I have Smartsheet automatic backups turned on for all our workspaces. I get an email each time each is backed up.  So I set up a zapier email parser (free plan) to pull out the download url and then upload it to google drive.I made a rule in outlook 365 to forward all the smartsheet download complete emails to zapier's parser.

Now as soon as the backups are done they are transfered to Google Drive.

/marc

• The "Enterpriseness" of Smartsheet leaves a lot to be desired. Core functionality like backup and restore and user access seem to be an afterthought and left to the individual users to administer rather than being a centralized function.

Please integrate with something like Veeam.