Multiselect to single line item

Options

Good Afternoon,

I am looking to separate a client into their individual renewals from a master sheet that has the client renewal dates in a multi-select drop down:

Live Clients List:

Client Name Renewal Month Project Manager

Client 1 January, July, August PM1

Client 2 February PM2

Client 3 March, September PM3

What I would like to get back:

Client Name Renewal Month Project Manager

Client 1 January PM1

Client 1 July PM1

Client 1 August PM1

Client 2 February PM2

Client 3 March PM3

Client 3 September PM3

Please let me know what you think, Thank you!

Answers

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In your first list above, are you selecting Client Name, Renewal Month, and Project Manager all into one cell from your dropdown? How did the value separated by commas?

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• Sandi Cervantes
    Options

Hi,

I have added some additional information below. Please let me know if I need to elaborate.

Live Clients List:

Client Name - text column

Renewal month - multiselect column

Project Manager - contact list column

What I would like to get back:

Client Name - text column

Renewal month - text column

Project Manager - contact list column

• Ben Goldblatt
    Options

Hi @Sandi Cervantes,

You could use a cross-sheet VLOOKUP formula to automatically populate the "Project Manager" based off of the "Client Name" values (or vice versa) but I haven't been able to come up with a good solution for separating the values out from a multi-select dropdown list. You could use a single-select dropdown list with the month names or enter in the months in a Text/Number column, but this would be a manual process.

I highly recommend Submitting a Product Enhancement Request to see about getting an automated option for this kind of "breakout" functionality considered as a possibility for future development.

Thanks,

Ben

• Sandi Cervantes
    Options

Thank you Ben! I have submitted an an enhancement.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!