Counting Checkboxes NOT Checked within a Specific Range for Sheet Summary

Nancy Heater
Nancy Heater ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 10/02/20 in Formulas and Functions

Hello all and Happy Friday!

I need to count the number of checkboxes that are NOT checked within a given range in a column.

I have found formulas to count checkboxes NOT checked for an entire column, that seems to also count all "blank" cells below my data range, so its providing incorrect counts.

Example sheet is linked below. I would like to count the number of boxes NOT checked for rows 1 - 249, and then NOT checked for my entire data range, which currently is thru row 562, for the Sheet Summary Fields I have set up. https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=2a8f00cc49eb4021916f06af91e28095

Thank you in advise for your assistance.

Best Answers

• Nancy Heater
    Nancy Heater ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/02/20 Answer ✓

Figured it out ... had to put in brackets and put the range numbers outside the brackets to count non checked cell for a specific row range, in this case, Rows 1 - 1434.

=COUNTIF([MPU w Rollout]1:[MPU w Rollout]1434, 0)

Not really sure why it worked on one sheet one way and not on another, but at least we have (2) options to try!

The version of =COUNTIF([MPU w Rollout]:[MPU w Rollout], 0) to count all non-checked for the entire row stills counts more rows than there is data for, so that one still is problematic, but the above solution works for what I needed.

Answers

• Nancy Heater
    Nancy Heater ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/02/20

Thank you @SoS | Dan Palenchar !

However, this one is still counting past what is there: =COUNTIF(Confirmed:Confirmed, 0)

When I used this and removed all checks, its counting 572 when it should be counting just 562.

• Nancy Heater
    Nancy Heater ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/02/20

... and trying the first option in my actual sheet isn't working for some reason. I'll continue to see if I can figure out why, as it works in the test sheet just fine.

• Nancy Heater
    Nancy Heater ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/02/20 Answer ✓

Figured it out ... had to put in brackets and put the range numbers outside the brackets to count non checked cell for a specific row range, in this case, Rows 1 - 1434.

=COUNTIF([MPU w Rollout]1:[MPU w Rollout]1434, 0)

Not really sure why it worked on one sheet one way and not on another, but at least we have (2) options to try!

The version of =COUNTIF([MPU w Rollout]:[MPU w Rollout], 0) to count all non-checked for the entire row stills counts more rows than there is data for, so that one still is problematic, but the above solution works for what I needed.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/02/20

@Nancy Heater

It's because it always counts ten more row that are added by default in the sheet. Add -10 to the formula and it should be correct.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!