Copy Rows Automation - Only certain columns?

Options
Gordon
Gordon ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 06/29/20 in Smartsheet Basics

When a copy row automation is triggered, is there a way to only copy certain columns/cells in that row?

If not, is there a way to then take the output sheet data and cross reference to matching rows in a third sheet, and can I build further automations off of the destination sheet?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Gordon,

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment to select which columns to include (it's coming), but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

As a possible workaround, you could, as you mention, use cross-sheet formulas, but you'll need to have some unique identifier.

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• ipeat
    ipeat ✭✭
    Options

(it's coming), 

Sooner the better

• Terry Lewis
    Terry Lewis ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Couldn’t you also just allow the whole row to copy, but place the “extra” columns from the source sheet way over on the right side of the destination sheet? You could then hide these extra columns and just ignore them.

• Kristen Colangelo
    Options

@Andrée Starå

Could you please make this enhancement soon! My company could really utilize this. I am trying to get most teams and departments to start using smart sheet and if this enhancement happens then it would make it easier for my teams to want to use this. Thanks!!!

ps - already filled out a request enhancement form : )

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Kristen Colangelo

I would if I could, but I'm not a Smartsheet employee.

I'm a Smartsheet Partner / Consultant.

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Stephanie Tran
    Stephanie Tran ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Any word when this feature might come out?

• Kevin Scott
    Options

@Stephanie Tran did you receive a response to your question?

I have the same question, and the same need...would like to use workflow automation to copy a row to another sheet, but only include a subset of columns.

Please let us know if there is an update on the availability of this feature.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Stephanie Tran, @Kevin Scott, @Terry Lewis, @Gordon & @ipeat.

I hope you're well and safe!

Here's a possible workaround

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Roland Horwood
    Roland Horwood ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

hmmm,

would be a very useful feature for updating multiple, but different sheets, when a new line is added to a "master" sheet, without getting all the columns you don't want... I'll look forward to it appearing as a feature at some point

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello everyone -

Not to bring up a months-old post, but just wanted to say that this is doable if you use a service outside of Smartsheet.

Personally, I utilize Microsoft's Power Automate (which is similar to Zapier, Automate.io, etc.) to do custom automations like you're desiring. If anyone is interested, I could walk you through how to do that if you have an existing subscription to Power Automate. I could figure out how to get it going in Zapier or another service, I'm sure.

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• Jheyman Mejia
    Options

Three years have passed since "it's coming".

It is sad that such a simple but useful requirement has not yet been implemented by SmartSheet.

I don't see any use in copying an entire row to another spreadsheet other than for order, but for functionality or automations this should be resolved by Smartsheet.

The options provided by the community, in a very kind and appreciated way, are nothing more than options that I can do in a flat Excel file, without having to pay the high prices of SmartSheet.

It is painful.

• Hello - This response was posted in 2020 saying that the requested feature is being worked on. Is this still being worked on as a future enhancement?

• kevans33
    Options

I'd also like to know if this is being worked on? This has been something I have wanted since 2020 for multiple reports I run. Thank you!