Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Adding a Hyperlink to a Web Form

Options
Gary Steele
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hi All

I'm wondering if there is a way to insert a hyperlink as a default value either into a column or a web form so the user than click the link but doesn't have to create the link in every row populated by the web form. I see a hyperlink can be added directly to a sheet, but my users aren't happy with that. They're looking for a quick way to assign a task to multiple people and I'm almost there (using a task and assigning via subtasks), but they want to click on the main task and get the form. There would be two forms, one to add a main task and one to add subtasks, each with a different subset of columns.I haven't had any success using HTML as default text.

While I'm at it, is there a way to set a form so that every row created with it is indented? Less important than the above, but would be very useful.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Gary—

Can you elaborate on your process? How will a hyperlink allow multiple assignees to a task?

You can add a hyperlink to a web form as help text, or you can add default values to a web form that auto-populate in fields. Details on this are available in our Help Center: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/522221-using-web-forms

• Gary Steele
    Options

What I'm hoping to do, since I cannot assign multiple people on a single contact list cell, is create a task, then create subtasks (child rows), with the same title, but assigning different people and different number of allocated hours. In the parent row, I'd like to have the web form displayed to create the child form when the user clicks a link, so I want to add it by default to a hidden field. Then the child form will be set to save and re-display the form for another entry until the user closes it.

The problem is getting a properly formatted anchor tag into the form. I can put a URL in the form just fine and it works, but it's sloppy looking. I'd like it to be like a regular anchor tag: <a href=" child form URL">Add Assignee</a>. If I do that the tags show up (assuming as a security precaution).

Thanks!

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

As you've found, HTML, or any markup or programming language, can't be directly typed in the sheet grid. What you can do is right-click the cell and select Hyperlink, then type in your display text and enter your URL.

I believe this will give you the anchor look you're wanting.

• Gary Steele
    Options

Right, I can put it into the cell directly, but then the user has to manually copy it each time; what I'm looking for is getting the formatted hyperlink into the cell via the web form as a default value in a hidden field.

I'm guessing that isn't possible. Maybe it could be added as a new feature...

Thanks for responding, Shaine!

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Got it—you're correct. You can't add a hyperlink with display text as a default value.

Submit your idea directly to our Product team via the Product Enhancement Request link under Quick links on the right of the community site.

• Sarah Geary
    Options

Hi Shaine,

I found this chain, as I'm having a similar issue.  I would like to hyperlink a word in the description of a webform - the user needs to download a form elsewhere, and attach the filled out doc to the webform.

Can you let me know how to go about this?  I didn't seem to find the information in the link you provided.

Thanks,

Sarah

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Sarah,

There isn't a way to hyperlink words in a Smartsheet form (including in the description) at this time. 

When you have a moment, please submit your request for this enhancement via the Product Enhancement Request form under Quick links to the right of the community site.

This discussion has been closed.