When is Smartsheet going to bring native Managed Dynamic Dropdown menus ?

One of the distinguishing features of Smartsheet is the guided data entry via dropdown menus. This is awesome. Really helps to bring order into the data.

However managing the dropdown menu content is 100% manual and for more than one sheet rapidly becomes a colossal pain in the neck.

Even Microsoft Excel allows to create guided cell data entry based on dynamically calculated external links. There are external API vendors which solve this between "not so bad but basic" and "extortion" level.

For me, I am using Smartsheet (multiple, for all kinds of purposes) extensively on my current project. But I am the only licensed user, so I am stuck with the update task, and I find the constant task of updating the dropdown menus (something as basic as a contact list which is always changing) so mindblowingly offturning that I am hesitant to advocate the further use of Smartsheet in GE , and I am certain that on my next project I will scale back the use of Smartsheet.

When will Smartsheet bring managed dynamic dropdown menu content? Thanks a lot for your action.

Comments

• If I could up-vote this 1000 times I would.

Completely agree with all the sentiments on this thread. This enhancement would not only make my Smartsheet life better, it would help be a better evangelist of the tool.

I wince whenever I'm coaching someone in my organization on how to use Smartsheet, and they ask me how to do this... 😬

• Julia C Peterson
    Julia C Peterson ✭✭✭✭

What about using data shuttle(data uploader formerly) to update the dropdowns? You can do it from onedrive/google sheets/or smartsheet (if you have an upload data shuttle workflow to export the master dropdown list)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Michael Bull, @SJ Sellers, @Kimberly Gammon, @Tim Morgan & @Julia C Peterson

I hope you're well and safe!

I agree with you, Julia, and I set this up for many of my clients, but I've also developed a Master Dropdown process. Each dropdown is collected to a master sheet that is then used to distribute it out to all other columns.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic 4th of July weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Umesh Shah
    Umesh Shah ✭✭✭✭

I learned that this functionality was on the roadmap to be delivered in 2022, but got dropped. unclear why, but you should contact your customer success manager to ask why.