How many rows a contact is entered in a sheet?

Kenya Asbill
Kenya Asbill ✭✭
edited 04/23/21 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello! I am trying to count how many rows a contact is entered in a sheet. Do I create a summary field?

I am using this formula for my text/number summary fields to count each status (for a report that I am using in a dashboard): =COUNTIF(Status:Status, "Purchased"). Status is a text field.

What summary field type and formula do I use to count each contact (so that I can add an Assigned To report to a dashboard)? Assigned To is a contact field.

For example, I want to add a report to my dashboard showing the number of items assigned to each contact.

Example of rows in sheet:

Example of report from data above:

Tags:

Best Answer

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Report grouping and summary information don't appear in a dashboard widget. I don't think that can be changed. If you set the widget to open the report on click you'll see the grouping. Likely not what you want.

The other way to do this is to create a metric grid with cross sheet references. Set the grid up as you want to see the final table. Enter formulas to count or sum the information you want depicted from the base sheet. Place the metric sheet link in your DB.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Create a summary field for each person with the formula =COUNTIF([assigned to]:[assigned to], "Paul"); changing the name.

Create a summary report using the sheet and your assigned to fields.

Help?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• @Mark Cronk That worked! Now I need the easiest way to group by status...Do I now have to 1)create a summary field for each possible combination and 2)create a summary report using the sheet and the new fields? I am praying that there is an easier way then that to get what I need 🙏...

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Kenya,

Try just creating a report and using the report grouping and summary features. Create a new report. Add your sheet. Select the columns to include. Set your other features.

Does that get you what you need?

Mark

• Hello @Mark Cronk! I tried that. Unfortunately, the DB does not show the grouping of the data by both the status and assigned to fields; it removes the grouping of the data and just shows the rows of data. Would you happen to know why?

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Report grouping and summary information don't appear in a dashboard widget. I don't think that can be changed. If you set the widget to open the report on click you'll see the grouping. Likely not what you want.

The other way to do this is to create a metric grid with cross sheet references. Set the grid up as you want to see the final table. Enter formulas to count or sum the information you want depicted from the base sheet. Place the metric sheet link in your DB.

Mark

• Update - Instead of creating a metric grid, I added a web content widget that included the report that I created.