Dynamic View and Formulas on smartsheet

Adriane Price
Adriane Price ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 09/13/23 in Add Ons and Integrations

We have created a source sheet to collect data, in the source sheet we used formulas to pull in (cross-reference) data from other smartsheets. When we created the dynamic view from this source sheet our team members are unable to update the information in the dynamic view.

From digging around we have found out that using formulas in the cell source sheet makes the fields 'read-only'. Is there a workaround?

Adriane

Best Answer

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Adriane,

You'll need to present the user with the cells that feed the formula so they can edit the source. I can't help much more than that without better understanding your sheet at up. Sorry.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Adriane,

You'll need to present the user with the cells that feed the formula so they can edit the source. I can't help much more than that without better understanding your sheet at up. Sorry.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• skarkhoff
    skarkhoff ✭✭✭

@Adriane Price - You can set up a couple "helper" columns, one that brings in the cross reference data, one that allows users to edit data (this is the one you'd add to the dynamic view panel), then a 3rd column that combines the 2, and that's the field that is shown in the display, reports, etc.

I have something similar setup so that if the user provides data, the 3rd/Display column formula that pulls data in from the user input column, and if that's blank, it would pull from the cross-sheet formula column.

Hope that helps!