Count If and Not blank

Options

Hey everyone, I am trying to count cells in a column where one column is not blank and cells in the other column matches a certain criteria.

The columns are:

Responsible Department - I want to count the cells in this column that are not blank

and

Program Name - Here is the Criteria - I want to count the cells in the Responsible Department column if the cell in this column matches "USP"

I have looked through the forums and can't seem to find a formula that would work (or one that I am doing right :) )

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @EmilyE

Hope you are fine, please try the following formula:

=IFERROR(COUNTIFS([Responsible Department]:[Responsible Department], NOT(ISBLANK(@cell)), [Program Name]:[Program Name], "USP"), "")

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @EmilyE

Hope you are fine, please try the following formula:

=IFERROR(COUNTIFS([Responsible Department]:[Responsible Department], NOT(ISBLANK(@cell)), [Program Name]:[Program Name], "USP"), "")

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• EmilyE
    EmilyE ✭✭✭
    Options

That did it!

Thank you so much! I haven't had much experience with the ISBLANK formulas.

I appreciate your help!

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@EmilyE 

You are welcome and I will be happy to help you any time. Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". 

PMP Certified

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@EmilyE

Thanks for the nice and quick response

PMP Certified

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @EmilyE

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Bassam's excellent advice/answer.

Here's another option for the ISBLANK part that I personally prefer.

=IFERROR(COUNTIFS([Responsible Department]:[Responsible Department], <>"", [Program Name]:[Program Name], "USP"), "")

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Valerie_WPA
    Options

Hello!

I thought this would work, and I'm sure it's my syntax. But help please.

I'm trying to get a % complete for Jan but only if the January Date is not blank and not NA.

Basically count a date only.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Valerie_WPA

When you're looking for text in a formula it needs to be in Quotes, like so: "NA"

Also, your range is looking only into the one cell in this row with @row.

Are you wanting to look into the whole column to Count how many rows are not blank and not "NA"?

Try this instead:

=COUNTIFS(January:January, <> "NA", January:January, <> "")

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!