Scorecard Template

Does anyone have a good scorecard template? I'm trying to create several scorecards to evaluate Vendors (to allow us to help improve vendor performance) as well as ranking potential projects (so that we can determine which ones our company will move forward with in 2022)

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Linda Linton
    Linda Linton ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/20/21 Answer ✓

Hi Byron,

Good chatting with you at today's ENGAGE conference!

I built a tool in Smartsheet for ranking projects in our IT portfolio. It is based on business objectives, return on investment, project value, urgency, etc.

First, it uses a weighted criteria sheet. These criteria determine the value of each project and should be set by leadership once and then reviewed periodically. Otherwise, they should not change. It looks like the attached. The categories, measurements, and weights should be modified to fit your organization.

I have a questionnaire form that the PMO uses to answer questions about the individual project when its added to the portfolio to rank its priority. For example:

Q1: Does it meet strategic objectives? Yes or No

Q2: Is it required to support a new product? Yes or No

When the form is completed and submitted, it goes to the portfolio where it pulls in the weighted criteria to each response and reflects its total 'Project Score' (as shown in this partial screenshot). The sheet is sorted by Project Score in descending order so that the projects with the highest value are prioritized at the top.

(This screenshot is prior to our latest edits, so the "Sample Project with Highest Possible Score" should = 400. This is the total shown at the bottom of the weighted criteria sheet shown here).

Let me know if that makes sense or if you have questions. I'm happy to assist! 😊

Linda Linton

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you wanting to gather feedback from vendors?

What kinds of details and who would be providing input on the project scores?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Byron Hu
    Byron Hu ✭✭✭✭

I actually want to use this as an internal scorecard so our various teams (Product Development, Operations, QC, etc) can evaluate each vendor based on their performance in several KPI's (Price, development time, delivery time, quality, etc.)

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ah. Ok. Would you have multiple people in each department filling out a scorecard for the same vendor?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Byron Hu
    Byron Hu ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/19/21

Yes, so ideally there would be a way to aggregate scores from all responders for each KPI they respond to

• Linda Linton
    Linda Linton ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/20/21 Answer ✓

Hi Byron,

Good chatting with you at today's ENGAGE conference!

I built a tool in Smartsheet for ranking projects in our IT portfolio. It is based on business objectives, return on investment, project value, urgency, etc.

First, it uses a weighted criteria sheet. These criteria determine the value of each project and should be set by leadership once and then reviewed periodically. Otherwise, they should not change. It looks like the attached. The categories, measurements, and weights should be modified to fit your organization.

I have a questionnaire form that the PMO uses to answer questions about the individual project when its added to the portfolio to rank its priority. For example:

Q1: Does it meet strategic objectives? Yes or No

Q2: Is it required to support a new product? Yes or No

When the form is completed and submitted, it goes to the portfolio where it pulls in the weighted criteria to each response and reflects its total 'Project Score' (as shown in this partial screenshot). The sheet is sorted by Project Score in descending order so that the projects with the highest value are prioritized at the top.

(This screenshot is prior to our latest edits, so the "Sample Project with Highest Possible Score" should = 400. This is the total shown at the bottom of the weighted criteria sheet shown here).

Let me know if that makes sense or if you have questions. I'm happy to assist! 😊

Linda Linton

• Byron Hu
    Byron Hu ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Linda! This is awesome!!!

• Linda Linton
    Linda Linton ✭✭✭✭

You're very welcome! The key is to get leadership input on the weighted criteria so that there are few, if any, exceptions. The weighted criteria should reflect the thinking of your leadership - what's important to them and to the business. If done correctly, this should take a load off of them having to prioritize projects because they have already done it using this tool.

• Byron Hu
    Byron Hu ✭✭✭✭

@Linda Linton Thank you so much. Do you only have a single PMO fill out a form per project, or do you have members from Cross functional teams fill out the form and then have it aggregated?

• Linda Linton
    Linda Linton ✭✭✭✭

We have a single PMO fill out the form per project. However, the PMO can and does reach out to cross-functional teams to obtain the information necessary to provide accurate responses to the questionnaire.

• Hi @Linda Linton, This is great work!

I have created a very similar score card for project prioritization purposes however I am having trouble with the formula to calculate total project score. Are you able to share any tips around the formula used in your scorecard? I'm not sure of protocol regarding discussions and do not want to overrun Byron's original post. Happy to connect directly if that suits.

• Hi @Linda Linton Can you share your template?