Permissions not working correctly

I have a collaborator who can only view sheets: in Smartsheets, he's listed as an editor, but when he goes in, he can't do anything. I've tried removing him and re-adding him, and it's the same issue. Even the invite email he received says "edit".

Help!

Comments

• Hello,

Your Editor may be trying to make edits that require Admin permissions and/or a license. I'd recommend asking your Editor what specific changes they're trying to make: Are they trying to add columns? (Only licensed Admins can do this.) Are they trying to unhide columns? (Licensed Admins only.)

To get a complete list of what people are allowed to do by license and sharing permission level, see the Sharing Permission Levels help article: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/1155182-sharing-permission-levels

After reviewing the above article and figuring out what the Editor is specifically trying to do, if you've determined that they are making a change to the sheet that Editors should be allowed to do, please try the following:

• Open your sheet and click the Share button in the upper-right, make sure it says Editor next to their email address in the Smartsheet application itself.
    • Ensure that your Editor and you are looking at the same sheet at the same time. (Meet with them and ask them to open the sheet they're trying to Edit, then check for the active profile icon to the left of the share button.) It's possible that your Editor is looking at a different sheet with a similar or the same exact name, but on that sheet they're only a Viewer.
    • Make sure that your Editor is signed in to the same account that you've given them permissions on. Have them confirm (maybe even spell out or give you a screenshot) the email address they're signed in to. They can click on their Profile Icon in the upper-right and see their email address in the dropdown menu there. Double-check that against the Editor email.
    • Have your Editor completely sign out of Smartsheet and sign back in to make sure the permissions change has made its way to their browser.

If the above doesn't fix the problem, please reach out to our Support team to troubleshoot further.

• Hello! I am having this same issue - I've added a few people to my sheet and have given them "admin" access, yet they are not able to edit rows. They are not trying to add or edit columns, just type things into the rows (like an excel sheet). Do you know why this may be? I've tried removing them and re-adding them, changing their access, etc.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 11/02/21

Hi @Monica5477

What plan type are you on? If you are on a Pro Plan, collaborators that you want to edit your sheets will need to be licensed on the same plan, otherwise the sheet is Read-Only. See: Sharing and widgets in the Pro plan for more details.

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Hi @Genevieve Evans

We are on the pro plan! Any idea why they wouldn't be able to access still?

Thanks,

Monica

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Monica5477

Are the collaborators that you're sharing to licensed on your plan? It sounds like you're sharing to users who either aren't licensed on your plan or aren't members of your plan in general, based on this article: Sharing and widgets in the Pro plan

If you can confirm that the users you're sharing to are licensed on your Pro plan and have the correct permissions (Editor or Admin) for that sheet, then I would suggest reaching out to Smartsheet Support so they can look into this with you.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Thank you! They are on the same licensed plan as my team is. I will reach out to support, thank you!

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Monica5477

My apologies, let me clarify further.

Even if your Plan has licenses, these users will need to be granted a license each in order to edit. For example, you could have a mixture of un-licensed, Free Members as part of your plan, as well as Licensed, Paid Members. The ones that have been granted a license will have more ability than the free members. On a Pro Plan, free members can only View sheets, not edit. Does that help?

• LakeWaconia
    LakeWaconia ✭✭✭

I'm having a very similar issue.

I'm on a Pro Plan

My client has an Enterprise Plan

I'm trying to share a sheet with 4 collaborators at the client. They all have either Editor or Admin access on their plan.

I've tried sharing the sheets with them both as Editors and Admin. The invitation and the sharing details shows up a Editor or Admin, but when they open the sheet it says "View Only" and they can't edit anything.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @LakeWaconia

I hope you're well and safe!

The Pro plan will not work for you because the Editors have to be part of your Account.

Sheets owned by Pro Plan users can only be edited by licensed users within that account.

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.