Advanced Form/Questionnaire Functionality

Andrew Moffitt
edited 02/25/22 in Smartsheet Basics

I'm trying to build a Smartsheet template for a product release checklist. I think the best way to accomplish this would be to design it using the Project template, but I want to build in some advanced features that I'm having trouble with.

First and foremost, I want users to be able to enter basic metadata about the project (release number, release type, whether or not there are regulatory implications, etc.). I've been fiddling with Forms for a while, because I thought a Form submission would be a good way to capture that data. But it seems like the only thing the sheet can do with a form submission is to add the inputs as data in rows on the sheet. Is there a way to attach a submitted form as a file? Or is there some other way to solicit that kind of data within the sheet itself?

I also want to create a dynamic project plan that only includes relevant work packages. If part of our project plan is only relevant to projects that involve the Legal department, for instance, and the user specifies that the Legal department won't be involved in a planned project, I want to exclude that portion of the project plan. Again, I thought I might be able to use Forms to solicit that information from the requestor, and then use the input to customize a project plan, but I can't figure out how to make that work.

Conceptually, it seems like I'm trying to build a custom Project Plan Wizard. Is that something Smartsheet could be used for?

Thank you all for your help.

Andrew

Best Answer

Answers