What formula can I use to identify blank columns?

Options

I'd like my column to call out "missing fields" if someone fails to input information to all columns of the spreadsheet. Here is the formula I have in place but I am getting an error.

=IF(ISBLANK([Partner Name]1):([Tracking Method]1), "Missing Field")

Answers

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

I do not believe you can use a range on ISBLANK. It maybe limited to one value like this:

=IF(ISBLANK([Task Name]1), "Cell is blank", "Cell isn't blank")

You could nest a bunch of IF/ISBLANKS with ORs but depending on how many columns you have, that might be a messy way to do it.

I was thinking about this and it might prove to be easier, if it would work for you, to create a report , include all columns, and use a filter that looks like this:

This would show you right away if there are blanks. The other way I use at times is to use the Conditional Formatting to make a row with missing info stand out:

I can be lazy at times but there are a couple of ways you can do it. I would like to know how you decide to solve your challenge.

Please let me know if I can help.

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer)

• MissE1212
    Options

I just tried it. If I go the conditional formatting route the "AND" would not properly identify ANY missing fields. If column A has data but column B does NOT it would not be flagged since technically there is info in column A. I think an "or" feature is needed for this to work.

Essentially, it would only identify the row as incomplete if ALL fields were missing. I need to note if just one field is missing. Thanks for your help!

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you want to use the formatting you need to enter each as new, like this.

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!