Timeline end date not updating correctly - help needed

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my end date at the top not updating correctly. I have all the subtasks below indented correctly; however, it will not reflect that at the top most level. Please see the photo attached.

I added in a new line at the bottom with an end date of 03/09; however, the date at the parent task refuses to update and is using the date from the previous subtask of 05/08. Usually this happens when I haven't indented correctly, but it's definitely correct because if I collapse the top line everything beneath disappears.

Is this a glitch or am I doing something wrong? 🧐 I've seen this happen a few times within the plan with other subtasks....when adding a new one it sometimes won't update the end date of the parent task!!! It's a bit frustrating because I pull the metrics to show on my client dashboard and they're confused on why it says our project is ending earlier than it is as we have tasks due at later dates.

How to fix?!

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/19/21

Hi @Jubial 

Hope you are fine, here is a quick solution because i don't have the permission to check your sheet, please try to add the following formula in parent level:

Start Date =MIN(CHILDREN())

Finish Date =MAX(CHILDREN())

the following screenshot shows the result:

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Jubial
    Jubial ✭✭✭

This is helpful; however, I do have predecessors turned on so can't put in formulas I don't think?

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jubial

if you like i can check the problem please share me as an admin on a sample copy of your sheet after removing the sensitive data

My Email for sharing : Bassam.k@mobilproject.it

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jubial

I hope you're well and safe!

Are you using predecessors?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some more screenshots of the sheet? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• It looked like you had it correct at the onset. The parent was reporting the correct end date because you have a date of 5/8/22. The 2022 date is the furthest out, even though you have a task below it (that task is finished sooner (3/9/21). Your parent line is showing the latest date the parent task will be completed by.

I am, however, having the issue of the parent task not reflecting the furthest out date of the subtasks below it.

Any ideas why the end date on a parent row is not reporting the correct date?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jubial It is reflecting that date because it is the date that is furthest in the future of all of the children. This means that the parent task will not be completed until then.

@TristanS Try inserting start dates.