May Question of the Month 💭 Join the conversation and receive a badge

Options

Answers

• kowal
    kowal Overachievers Alumni
    Options
    1. My Parents who convinced me to study IT.
    2. My ex-colleague Hanna from early in my career who introduced me into PM.
    3. My ex-boss Michael who asked me in 2019 to deal with Smartsheet in Delivery Hero.
  • virgh
    virgh ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Who has had the biggest impact on your career and why?

Can't limit this to just one person or role.

1. There are excellent mentors I've had along the way in person - those who are leading by example and will give me honest feedback - and that includes colleagues, interns, and people who I have managed - not just direct supervisors (but there were several of those also).
    2. There are a few people in my career path who were so abrasive that they motivated me to change roles/teams/departments/companies and re-evaluate what I want in the workplace.
    3. A few authors who challenged my thinking about what is the purpose or goal of my career include Tim Ferriss (The 4-hour Work Week) and Jen Sincero (You Are A Bad*ss at Making Money).
    4. Watching my parents in their careers and learning what I did (and did not) want for myself in a career.

Virginia C. Hire Damrauer

• Jake Gustafson
    Jake Gustafson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For me, I had a few managers/supervisors in the past who I don't want to emulate. People within the office that I didn't look forward to crossing paths or interacting with throughout the day. Taking that experience to my next job (where I met Smartsheet 😍), I never want to have that type of relationship with a manager nor for me to be that manager to others. So, ensuring that the professional and personal relationship with my supervisors, reports, and peers is at a level where there's energy and excitement to engage with one another whether it be in the office or through remote means.

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've had great managers, mentors, and friends who have guided and aided me throughout my career. I wouldn't be where I am today without some of them and their wisdom. However the person who made the biggest impact on my career is my wife. She believes in me, supports and encourages me, and is there for me no matter what. Her support is endless and unwavering. I don't even want to imagine where I'd be without her.

• Nikisha Mellstrom
    Options

This is a BIG question. There definitely is a lot that goes into our careers. I would like to say keeping our passion growing. For me, I believe engaging in innovation, learning, and always trying to do better is key! Smartsheet for sure has taught me many ways to save time through automation and efficiencies. Helping others gives me satisfaction to do more!

• Ward.Hively
    Ward.Hively ✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/15/23
    Options

A shovel.

It was hot that day and I was covered in mud, dirty water and sweat. I was digging a spot for a welder to lay down so he could finish the last tie in weld on the project. It was a 18 mile long natural gas gathering pipeline nestled in the rolling hills of Northern Pennsylvania.

Having studied at Penn State for Civil Engineering and graduated in high school at the top of my class, I considered myself a scholar. I was not scared of hard work but that shale rock in Pennsylvania is dense at times, especially in full Fire Retardant clothing.

The welder looked down at me and grumbled “What’s the matter boy, can’t run a shovel?” I didn’t like the shovel anymore than it liked me but my son was just born and a Dad has to feed his family of course.

I didn’t respond, I finished the job, climbed out of the trench and walked up the hill. Two weeks later I left that project for a chance to be a Natural Gas inspector. I never looked back, that chance prospered into a career in project management that I love where I found my passion, helping people build bridges between their software, workflows and clients. This year, I took another chance and started Skyway Consulting Co.; a workflow consulting firm that has been built on the same principles that caused me to walk away from that project.

That shovel taught me another way, the Skyway.

Ward Hively

President and Chief Consultant

🌉Skyway Consulting Co.🌉

Need Smartsheet Help? Schedule a complementary consultation click SCHEDULE

Does your Dashboard need a map that updates from Smartsheet Data? We pioneered 101+ ways to add a map to a Smartsheet Dashboard.

Smartsheet and GIS Integrations

ArcGIS Online

✅ Arc Py

✅ Smartsheet Advanced

✅ Manage your GIS records from Dynamic View, Sheet or Report

✅ No Code (Limited Applications Apply)

LinkedIn: (49) Ward Hively | LinkedIn

• GinaP
    GinaP ✭✭✭
    Options

My former Director of Human Resources for sure. She introduced me to Smartsheet, and I built my job around it. She has since retired on her boat in the Bahamas.

• Trish Dillon
    Trish Dillon ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/15/23
    Options
  • Tiffany Ruvalcaba
    Options

As a creative thinker and big ideas person, I benefit greatly from all my interactions and a notepad is never far from reach! However, my greatest mentor has been a management coach from We Will, Inc. who led a 6-month intensive management program that I was fortunate to participate in several years ago. You don't have to be a manager to benefit from lessons in "Managing Up". It was about learning to read the room, "The 5 Whys" (you literally, on average, need to ask "why" 5 times before you solve the real issue), getting leadership buy-in, and practicing self-care. I am grateful to have the opportunity to still work alongside this coach.

• MMerin
    MMerin ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, this may sound a bit narcissistic, but it is me. I am the one who chooses how to react to everyday situations and challenges. I plan my future goals and execution. I am responsible for my own motivation. Are there people that help me along the way? Of course! Without them, I could not achieve my goals. However, the bottom line is, it all depends on me.

• Cleversheet
    Cleversheet ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • ZachJones
    Options

There have been a few. My dad for showing me how to have a good work ethic, my high school gf sister who talked to me about what college program to enroll in and why, my previous supervisor who helped craft my skills and encouraged/helped me to get my master's, PMP, and RCDD. Lastly, an ex-gf who sparked my interest in personal growth and reading. There are others I am probably not mentioning, but so many people, some in ways they dont know, have helped guide me, but those few I listed have had the most significant impact.

• Megan Yaussi
    Megan Yaussi ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would have to say that my manager also has had the biggest impact on my career. She has given me the confidence, support, and trust to not just show up and do my job every day, but to take it above and beyond. She is one of those managers you WANT to do your best for and I couldn't be happier to work with her every day.

• Erin Irick
    Erin Irick ✭✭✭
    Options

My last manager and her boss have had the most impact on my career. They were both incredible leaders who provided me with opportunities to completely change my role from operational to project management. They have helped me to grow and work outside of my comfort zone to develop my skills. Although I'm no longer lucky enough to be reporting to them both, they are still friends and mentors who are happy to guide me through career changes and support my development.

This discussion has been closed.