Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Dynamic Views in Control Center

Options
Sing C
Sing C ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Would be great to have the ability to add Dynamic Views to a blueprint definition.

Primary use case is the 'current user' scenario. Example: I have a project plan that I don't want to give shared edit access to but want project team members to be able to provide updates to their assigned tasks. Creating a Dynamic View based on a "task owner = current user" filter in the project plan would allow users to see those tasks relevant to them and have the ability to submit status, progress, and other selected updates for those tasks without having edit access to the plan.

The same logic would apply to other types of information, e.g. risks and issues.

Extending this thought, we could have a 'My Project Dashboard' created with Dynamic Views added as web content widgets for tasks, risks, issues, decisions, etc for the current user - so they can see everything relevant to them on the project and enter updates.

Our current 'workaround' is to have a 'My Project Dashboard' with current user reports set up on these entities (plan, risks, issues, etc). This gives users the ability to see their work but not update because we don't given edit access to the underlying sheets.

The way we've addressed this is to have reports for tasks, issues, and risks added to our blueprint's Dynamic Report Scope settings and a Dashboard that has Dynamic Views based on these reports. Users can then see AND UPDATE tasks, issues, and risks in from the dashboard, but only at the portfolio-level, so they see these DVs for everything, rather than a project level.

While it's possible for the user to apply a filter to the DV, it's a manual step. Having the ability to create/integrate project-level DVs through Control Center would be huge.

Sing Chen

Process Architect, Ceridian

LinkedIn

Tags:
18 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Jen B.
    Jen B. ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Agreed, Sing!

I've used the same Dynamic Report / Dashboard workaround in order to leverage the Dynamic View functionality for projects provisioned with Control Center. Not only is it confusing to display tasks across all projects, this approach also interferes with building field-specific logic within the Details Panel. I presume that's because the Dynamic Report doesn't reflect project-level column properties such as dropdown lists, check boxes, symbols, etc. This limitation is especially frustrating for me because I need that logic functionality to further streamline and simplify how users navigate to, and interact with, the DV to improve ease-of-use, reduce errors, set default field values, etc.

I've built my customized Smartsheet solution to facilitate a critical process owned by my department and I am eager to transition its functions to, what I view as, a superior platform. However, I have no doubt I would experience even greater buy-in from a much broader audience if I could access such flexibility.

This invaluable enhancement would significantly expand and simplify opportunities for collaboration. As such, I'm certain it would prove immensely beneficial to many others who utilize Control Center. Hopefully, the ability to integrate Dynamic View templates within a Control Center blueprint will be recognized as a valuable addition to the Smartsheet platform, driving development of a solution in the (near?) future.

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If a template uses a Dynamic View in a Dashboard, give control center the ability to create a new dynamic view based on the data of the new project. Without it, it severely limits Dynamic View use at a project level.

Apologies if this idea was posted, but I couldn't find it. Here is the Q&A post that spurred it.

Dynamic View Links and Control Center — Smartsheet Community

If this is implemented, quantity of dynamic views would quickly grow. This would require implementing an organizational structure to the views. See this post for a separate idea that should be supported.

Dynamic View Folders — Smartsheet Community

• Meg Y
    Meg Y ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

One of our templates relies on dyanmic view. Will the settings for Dynamic View stay in place when new project is created? All projects are created using Control Center.

The answer is now because dynamic view is not tied to control center.

This a major roadblock to adding another business unit to our Control Center.

Please vote up

Enhancement request has been submitted.

Meg Young

meg.young@mmyoungconsulting.com

https://www.linkedin.com/in/megyoungpm/