Report not visible to person who has Editor/share access

Options
gamgc
gamgc ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I didn't want to give a person access to my sheet so, I said I would create a report for them with the information they would want to see from the sheet. I did so and shared it to them with Editor/share permissions, but when they access the report, they don't see any data. What could be the reason for this? They don't have to be shared to the sheet itself, do they?

Thanks,

GAM

Tags:

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @gamgc

I hope you're well and safe!

You'd have to share the sheets with the underlying data for it to show for them in the report, or you would have to publish it.

Other options could be to use the premium apps, WorkApps, or Dynamic View.

Make sense?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @gamgc

I hope you're well and safe!

You'd have to share the sheets with the underlying data for it to show for them in the report, or you would have to publish it.

Other options could be to use the premium apps, WorkApps, or Dynamic View.

Make sense?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @gamgc

Here is the summary of the access needed for a report.

• To view a report
      • Report: >=viewer
      • Sheet: >=viewer
    • To edit a sheet at a report
      • Report: >=editor
      • Sheet: >=editor

So, if a user does not have a viewer or more access to a sheet, the user can not see anything in a report, even if the user has editor access to the report. The dilemma is that you want to show only some of the sheet, so limit what users see in the report. But, if the users do not have viewer access to the sheet, they do not see anything. Bub, if you give them viewer access to the sheet, they can see what you do not want to show.

The workaround is;

• Dynamic View
    • Show a report in a dashboard
      • Report widget + last widget editor perspective
      • Publish a report + web content widget

In the second report & dashboard case, you can share the dashboard to limit who can see the report contents. (The demo dashboard below publishes the dashboard so that any user, even a user who has not logged in to Smartsheet, can see the report and chart created using a report.)