Applying same conditional format per column

Brad Tippett
Brad Tippett ✭✭
edited 12/07/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello. Trying to make a quick attendance tracker for a meeting. I got conditional formatting to change the cell color when its checked vs unchecked. However I cannot seem to find a way to get the rule to apply to multiple columns on a per column basis. I need a way to copy what I have for column 3 and apply it to all columns, so no matter what checkbox is checked or not they are green/red as appropriate

Best Answer

• Jaime Holder
    Jaime Holder ✭✭✭
    edited 12/06/23 Answer ✓

HI there - I wonder if you would consider looking at the problem a different way? I'm kind of new myself, so here's how I would approach it - essentially this allows you to create only a handful of rules instead of a new one for each column/date across your grid.

I have recreated your table and used a form to solve the basics - essentially it looks like the below screenshot.

By using a form, you can enter the data using checkboxes to indicate if the dept has attended; the date column is formatted "created date" to show when the form entered the data, and dept's across the top allow for less busy of a sheet.

I used regular formatting to make the default "red" for unchecked, and conditional formatting to change the BG color to green when checked; simply "clone rule" and change the column ID's to match accordingly (watch how many checkmarks you are applying, this can be tricky)

The form will auto record the created date and you could simply select the checkboxes at your daily/weekly meeting, along with other cool stuff on the settings and logic areas of the form.

PS, when testing the form, don't forget to "open form" at the top right-hand of the screen (this used to get me all the time).

Hope this helps, good luck!

Answers

• Jaime Holder
    Jaime Holder ✭✭✭
    edited 12/06/23 Answer ✓

HI there - I wonder if you would consider looking at the problem a different way? I'm kind of new myself, so here's how I would approach it - essentially this allows you to create only a handful of rules instead of a new one for each column/date across your grid.

I have recreated your table and used a form to solve the basics - essentially it looks like the below screenshot.

By using a form, you can enter the data using checkboxes to indicate if the dept has attended; the date column is formatted "created date" to show when the form entered the data, and dept's across the top allow for less busy of a sheet.

I used regular formatting to make the default "red" for unchecked, and conditional formatting to change the BG color to green when checked; simply "clone rule" and change the column ID's to match accordingly (watch how many checkmarks you are applying, this can be tricky)

The form will auto record the created date and you could simply select the checkboxes at your daily/weekly meeting, along with other cool stuff on the settings and logic areas of the form.

PS, when testing the form, don't forget to "open form" at the top right-hand of the screen (this used to get me all the time).

Hope this helps, good luck!

• Thanks @Jaime Holder, that was something that just wasn't coming to me as I'm trying to convert an already existing excel created by someone else.

• You're welcome! I've had similar situations, and a second set of eyes always helped - thank goodness for this community!

best of luck going forward - JH