How to create a starting next/ending next box on the dashboard?

I am looking at a template from smartsheets, and I liked that they had a starting next and ending next box on the dashboard. Would I be able to set this up with tasks in a row in a sheet? If so, how can I set this up?

Tags:

Best Answer

• SteyJ
    SteyJ ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/19/23 Answer ✓

You can do this by using the metrics widget on the dashboard.

Structure your rows with start and end date like this:

then, when you are on your dashboard, with the metrics widget created, select the row needed for the data.

next, change the layout of the widget to "Stacked" instead of side by side.

Finally, remove unnecessary data points from the metrics widget.

Sincerely,

Jacob Stey

Answers

• SteyJ
    SteyJ ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/19/23 Answer ✓

You can do this by using the metrics widget on the dashboard.

Structure your rows with start and end date like this:

then, when you are on your dashboard, with the metrics widget created, select the row needed for the data.

next, change the layout of the widget to "Stacked" instead of side by side.

Finally, remove unnecessary data points from the metrics widget.

Sincerely,

Jacob Stey

• Alicia D
    Alicia D ✭✭✭✭

@SteyJ Am I able to have it so that it automatically updates with the project who's due date and start date is approaching the soonest? Or do I have to manually do this every time I want an udpate?

• SteyJ
    SteyJ ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sure. You can create helper columns, or summary fields by using a formula like this:

For end date

=INDEX([Name]:[Name], MATCH(MIN([end date]:[end date]), [end date]:[end date], 0))

For due date

=INDEX([Name]:[Name], MATCH(MIN([due date]:[due date]), [due date]:[due date], 0))

Something to consider, you will eventually need to add an IF statement to check whether a due date or end date has passed, this is usually done with a status column, but this is just this gist of how it would work.

Sincerely,

Jacob Stey

• Alicia D
    Alicia D ✭✭✭✭

@SteyJ I am not too familiar with helpers columns or summary fields. Would you be able to go into that a bit?

• SteyJ
    SteyJ ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sure. Helper columns are basically new columns created that work in the background of your sheet for calculations, etc. They are no different than a regular column, but they're considered helper columns because they have formulas in them to help the sheet do something additional -- such as show the soonest due date / end date.

Summary fields are the similiar, but they work alongside the sheet. You can then reference summary fields in reports, to pull statistical data about your sheet in one consolidated place.

side note: one of my coworkers actually recommended summary fields at Engage 2019 -- and he thinks he's the reason they exist! 😂

Sincerely,

Jacob Stey

• Alicia D
    Alicia D ✭✭✭✭

@SteyJ haha that's too funny about your co-worker! Thank you for all of the help, very informative.