Can a barcode scanner be used in conjunction with Smartsheet Asset Management

Hello all, I am looing into creating an asset management system using Smartsheet. I have seen the barcode function - but almost all the resources about it that I've come across mentions using the phone app. I am asking if a barcode scanner can be used instead. I am thinking of making a system where the barcode scanner would scan, and program the scan to update the inventory quantity of the corresponding item (every scan increases by 1)...

Best Answer

• Toufong Vang
    Toufong Vang ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

We do not have any specialized scanners. The two models we use are the corded Zebra DS2208 and the cordless Zebra DS3678-SR. There's no programming involved other than adding a TAB key or an ENTER key after the scanned data. Before scanning the barcode, simply ensure that the mouse cursor is in the correct field, because that is where the scanned data will be inserted.

We also use iPads and ruggedized tablets for data entry in the field that involves scanning barcodes and manual entry.

Answers

• Toufong Vang
    Toufong Vang ✭✭✭✭✭

@Qtnguyen We use barcodes regularly in our collection of sheets.

Think of a barcode scanner as an input device much like your keyboard. However, instead of individual keystrokes, the scanner scans, processes the scan, and then inputs the entire string/number into the field that the cursor is located.

If your barcode contains both the inventory item ID and quantity, you will need to configure your sheet to parse the item ID and quantity from the barcode string. The barcode string or scan itself will not "update" your inventory quantity.

For example, if your barcode read is something like "PROD54321-12", where what precedes the "-" is the item code, and what comes after "-" is the quantity, you might have three columns: Barcode Read, Item ID, Quantity. Your scan would go into Barcode Read; you will need a formula to parse the item ID from the barcode into the column, Item ID; and a formula to parse the quantity from the barcode into Quantity.

And then have something configured to use the value in Quantity to to update your inventory for the item.

• Qtnguyen
    Qtnguyen ✭✭
    edited 01/18/24

Understood, thank you for the clarification and the detailed answer! If that is the case, would any conventional barcode scanner work in this case as long as the barcode is programmed to go to the smartsheet, or would the scanner need certain capabilities (like those scanners with a screen and a numpad).

• Toufong Vang
    Toufong Vang ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

We do not have any specialized scanners. The two models we use are the corded Zebra DS2208 and the cordless Zebra DS3678-SR. There's no programming involved other than adding a TAB key or an ENTER key after the scanned data. Before scanning the barcode, simply ensure that the mouse cursor is in the correct field, because that is where the scanned data will be inserted.

We also use iPads and ruggedized tablets for data entry in the field that involves scanning barcodes and manual entry.