Images are fuzzy

Pamela Wagner
Pamela Wagner ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 08/05/23 in Smartsheet Basics

When I load an image into a dashboard they tend to be fuzzy. Is there a minimum size/quality (or perhaps type) that is needed to make them clear?

In this particular instance, I have created a Vision timeline, saved it as a JPG and placed it on my project dashboard.

Best Answer

• SteyJ
    SteyJ ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

This can be caused by a lot of factors. If the original jpg is small in size, smartsheet will automatically expand it which can cause fuzziness as it is being expanded to fit the size of the space needed.

You can test if the image itself is the issue by going into the image widget settings and selecting "actual size" as seen here

To fix the issue you can try using a higher resolution image, or try saving the image as .png

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Jacob Stey

Answers

• SteyJ
    SteyJ ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

This can be caused by a lot of factors. If the original jpg is small in size, smartsheet will automatically expand it which can cause fuzziness as it is being expanded to fit the size of the space needed.

You can test if the image itself is the issue by going into the image widget settings and selecting "actual size" as seen here

To fix the issue you can try using a higher resolution image, or try saving the image as .png

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Jacob Stey

• Pamela Wagner
    Pamela Wagner ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @SteyJ , I figured it wasn't an easy question to answer due to multiple factors. I will keep trying different items and see which give me the best results.

• Tate Forgey
    Tate Forgey ✭✭✭

While this is all true, I certainly think that Smartsheet dashboards have issues down-scaling large images. Outside the obvious, has anybody found tricks that help?

I've been trying to create smaller images to get closer to what I think the final size will be on the dash, but I'm still getting too much fuzziness on the images. If I look at them in actual size, they are fine.

Has anyone found a certain size or resolution that seems to work well?

• kerch
    kerch ✭✭

Same issues here

Same issues here. I have high-res images that I'm trying to incorporate into the SS. They look crisp and clear in "actual size," but "fit" and "fill" both look absolutely horrific. I'm using jpg and will try other formats. Wondering if the image size needs to be close to what it will actually be on the dashboard. Really frustrating.

• LizTo
    LizTo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/12/24

I am having the same issue with high-resolution images (both jpg and png) looking terrible when scaled-down on a dashboard.