Count if function and sequential numbering

Options
Mark.poole
Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 03/08/24 in Formulas and Functions

I have been banging my head trying to get this to work. I am trying to get an auto number that goes 1-….., for each name that appears in another row. Ex. Jim shows up 5 times this each time would be numbered 1-5, then Jordan shows up 8 times and would be numbered 1-8. So on and so forth. Any help would be appreciated.

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, and accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

Best Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I actually figured it out after just building the countifs one condition at a time.

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, and accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I just noticed I did not post my answer. The formula I wound up using was

=COUNTIFS(Date:Date, >Date@row, UT:UT, <>"", ID :ID, =ID@row)

Answers

• DKazatsky2
    DKazatsky2 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Mark.poole,

In your example, are you saying you want to see "1 - 5" for every instance of Jim or "1 - 5", "2 - 5", "3 - 5", "4 - 5", "5 -5"?

If it is the former, which it seems to be, use this: ="1 - " + COUNTIF(Name:Name, Name@row)

Hope this helps,

Dave

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Actually after further researching what it is I need. Im Wanting to return an incremental value. So if jim appears 5 times each row JIM appears in would be numbered 1-5. I have a formula that achieves this. how ever due to formula cell reference restraints I had to create a work flow to copy data to another sheet. So I would need the incremental numbers to start with the current most recent date.

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I actually figured it out after just building the countifs one condition at a time.

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I just noticed I did not post my answer. The formula I wound up using was

=COUNTIFS(Date:Date, >Date@row, UT:UT, <>"", ID :ID, =ID@row)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!