How to generate a 1-page file (PDF ?) from data entered via a form that populates a smartsheet?

Martin_M
Martin_M ✭✭✭✭
edited 02/27/24 in Smartsheet Basics

OK, this might not at all be possible but I am hopeful and am not giving up until I find out it can't be done...

Hello Smartsheet Community!!

I've been playing around with creating a Report, specifically a Row Report in that case. It works fabulous and YouTube videos are a great help!

This "issue", though, I am unable to figure out and am hopeful, that somebody here is able to help me out or come up with an idea to make it work. Here's what I'm trying to do:

Let's say we have a form that's used to enter certain data like dates, customer name, dimensions, etc. (see attached image), and the entries populate a smartsheet.

Question: What options are there to create a result that's similar to the attached image? Is it possible to create something, to output a "page", maybe a PDF (that would be perfect), that shows the data from one of the rows in that smartsheet that received the input data from the said form. Maybe some sort of "template" that uses a row of the smartsheet to fill in the data?

Or, is there any other way to make this happen? I hope I was able to explain this, if not, please ask.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!

Best Answer

• SteyJ
    SteyJ ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

What I recommend using is document builder via automation.

Create a fillable PDF in the format you would like to have. Then, in automation choose choose Workflow from template, you will want to use Document Generation seen here:

Here, you will be able to map the fields and auto generate whenever a new row is added.

Sincerely,

Jacob Stey

Answers

• SteyJ
    SteyJ ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

What I recommend using is document builder via automation.

Create a fillable PDF in the format you would like to have. Then, in automation choose choose Workflow from template, you will want to use Document Generation seen here:

Here, you will be able to map the fields and auto generate whenever a new row is added.

Sincerely,

Jacob Stey

• Martin_M
    Martin_M ✭✭✭✭

WOW!!!!!

I was skeptical that my idea was doable but hopeful that someone in the community might have an idea on how to realize this.

Jacob, this is awesome!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I'll let you know how it all turns out.

• Martin_M
    Martin_M ✭✭✭✭

Hello again, Jacob,

as mentioned, I wanted to let you know how it turns out and I have to say your suggestion/solution simply is amazing!!

The more fields there are and the more pages (I have front & back), the longer it takes to assign the form entries to the fields but overall it's not really a big pain in the ...

Working with this for a while now, and making more and more adjustments and improvements, I thought of other potential future projects to use this functionality on.

Again, thank you very much for you initial answer to my question, Jacob!!

• SteyJ
    SteyJ ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Martin_M I am very happy to hear that!! I have learned a lot from the community, and it changed my life from a Smartsheet management perspective. In this regard, I like to return the favor and spread the knowledge for others. 🙂

Sincerely,

Jacob Stey