New Admin Sharing Notifications

Jessica313
Jessica313 ✭✭✭
edited 03/06/24 in Smartsheet Basics

With the new update I've noticed that everyone with Admin permissions is getting a notification if someone wants to be shared to a sheet. Is there a way to turn that off and only allow the Admin or the new Asset Owner permission levels to be the only ones to have that ability?

Answers

• Humashankar
    Humashankar ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/06/24

Hi @Jessica313

Check the permission level you have on a Smartsheet item

There are two ways to do this:

Check the file properties

In the menu bar, select File > Properties. 

In the Permissions row, you’ll see the permission level. 

Open the Sheet Sharing form

In the upper-right area of the Smartsheet item, select Share. 

In the Collaborators section, search for your name. In the right side of your email address, you’ll see the permission level. 

System allows you to specify who receives notifications for sharing requests. 

Will be able to choose between different permission levels, such as Admin, Asset Owner, or custom roles

Make over the adjust permissions to ensure that only Admin or Asset Owner permission levels have the ability to share sheets

Hope this helps - Happy to help further!!

Thank you very much and have a great one!

Warm regards

Huma

Community Leader

• Jessica313
    Jessica313 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info. but what I'm looking for is that admins DO NOT have the ability to share. I would like only Owners and Asset Admins to be able to share. We have a number of people in our organization who need to be admins but I do not want them to have the ability to share sheets that don't belong to them. With the new update this doesn't seem like it's a possibility.

• Humashankar
    Humashankar ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jessica313 - Thanks for adding few data points to your use case

Accordingly, you are right.

Smartsheet update doesn't provide the specific functionality you need to restrict sharing permissions for certain admin roles, you may want to reach out to Smartsheet Enhancement

Smartsheet Product Feedback

Kindly mark this as solved / answered - use case if incase it is all aligned - which will also help other pursuers on this topic !!

Warm Regards

Huma

Community Leader

• Acacia
    Acacia ✭✭

@Jessica313 there should definitely be an option to determine who has rights to approve! I want all requests to come to my team, but by the time we open them, access has already been granted by who knows.

The fact that there is no way to see who gave access to whom is also a flaw of the system and an opportunity for improvement.

• Jessica313
    Jessica313 ✭✭✭

Agreed - I hate that it's looped in with the same permission level that is able to update a Form or change columns.

You can however see who has granted access to a sheet using the Activity Log. Hopefully that'll help you in tracking down whose approving requests they shouldn't!

• JulieJ
    JulieJ ✭✭

This needs to be prioritized. IMO, Smartsheet should have never released this update to who receives access requests without also adding in a new permission level between Admin and Editor. This is a nightmare for everyone's inbox and for me, as an admin, trying to understand who can access what. I definitely have people in my org just willy nilly accepting access requests to get them out of their inbox (despite my guidance to ignore them)…