COUNTIF help

Hi all,
I've been trying to resolve this all day, so I have decided to stop wasting time and ask the community. I'm trying to count the number of responses by type. I'm using the count if formula, but it worked once and then stopped when I tried to replicate it in other cells. I have provided screenshots and if anyone can see where I'm going wrong that would be amazing!

Best Answer

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@cmdowden

Glad I was able to help you out. Turns out it was an issue with the reference itself. As well as some negative space in the options.

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@cmdowden Are you saying you're trying to reference all the columns you have on the first image? Or just when you tried to drag the formula over to the other columns on the second image it's not working?

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• Hi @Mark.poole,

Thanks for your quick response. In the first image i'm trying to count responses, specifically in the instance shown, i'm trying to capture the 'Strongly Agree' responses. Using the formula that works in other sheets, I use the countif on the reference sheet to capture, but it's the last piece of the formula that seems to be causing the problem, as when I do a normal count formula it works fine.
    I'd like to be able to capture all responses from 'Strongly Disagree - Strongly Agree' and have that count shown in image 2.

Image one shows the reference range I am selecting, so I can count the associated responses. I hope I'm being clear, but I may be rambling at this point 😁

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭

IF I am understanding correctly. It should be showing a 1 instead of a 0 based off the current reference being used in the example?

• That's correct yes.

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/21/24

Outside of negative space in the reference column. I don't see why it would not work. I am more then happy to spend some time with you on teams if you like to try to figure it out.

• Hi Mark,

That would be amazing! Let me know when works for you and i'll send you a link.

Regards,

Chris

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/21/24

Anytime would be fine mark.poole@whirlwindsteel.com

• Great, thanks Mark. Will send an invite tomorrow.

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@cmdowden

Glad I was able to help you out. Turns out it was an issue with the reference itself. As well as some negative space in the options.

• @Mark.poole what an absolute legend! Sorted out an issue I spent hours on, in just a few minutes!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!