June Question of the Month - Join the conversation and receive a badge

Comments

• Jeff_ARC
    Jeff_ARC ✭✭✭

My passion is collecting. What do I collect you may ask well that can be a long list of things that I often forget myself. My three top areas of collecting are.

Pez Dispensers… Yes those little candy dispensers you had as a kid. I have around 2,000 different dispensers in my collections. Among collectors I would be considered somewhere near the middle of the pack. Top collectors have over 5,000 dispensers that can range in price from 50 cents to several thousand dollars each.

Little Golden Books… I have always been drawn to the black and gold binding on these books for a very long time. About 10 years ago I decided to start collecting these books. The collection has grown to more than just Golden Books I now collect anything from Western Publishing which published the books. I also have records, costumes, videos, flash cards, several types of puzzles and tins. I have about 2,000 items in this collection.

Stamps are probably where it all started for me. I have been collecting stamps on and off for 50 years. I enjoy collecting us stamps and that includes more than stamps used for postage. I have stamps associated with playing cards, cigarettes, wine, beer, legal purposes and some other oddities.

The things that tie all of this together for me is…

I enjoy the hunt for the next item I don't have and I enjoy organizing and cataloging my collections. Let me know what you collect and if you collect any of these things yourself I would love to talk to you!!

• meagans
    meagans ✭✭✭✭

I have the weird hobby of entering sweepstakes for fun! I've learned a lot over the years on how to 'beat the odds', which often just includes reading the rules and being persistent. It's a fun ice breaker to tell people I've won multiple trips and a lot of weird items over the last decade or so!

Meagan Struman ⚡️

• Many folks know about life long passion for music. My undergrad was in Music Therapy and I perform professional around the world. What people don't know about me is I have a this ability to see an instrument and instinctual know how to play it. I love exploring different cultures their music the role it plays in their cultures through history, concepts of tonality that to an western ear would just not feel right. I also collect odd ball instruments.

Cheers,
    Shawn Cullen

Cheers,

Shawn Cullen, MBA, RMT, PMP, GPHR, PHR, SHRM-SCP, LSSGBC

Director Strategic Initiatives

ADP - NAS Operations PMO

• Will Duplex
    Will Duplex ✭✭✭✭✭

@bfalitico I love your answer! That's a really nice way to stay connected to your heritage and to your loved ones. You're keeping the family tradition alive - Salute!

• AngB789
    AngB789 ✭✭

Line dancing is a fascinating subject that I've found offers incredible insights into community bonding, cultural traditions, and physical fitness. Originating in folk dance traditions and popularized by country-western music, line dancing involves synchronized steps performed in lines or rows. I've been a dancer for 12 years, competing in all genres, and have dedicated the last 5 years to line dancing. As a teacher, I've seen firsthand how it serves as a social activity that brings people together across various age groups, promoting both mental and physical health while preserving cultural heritage. Whether at a local barn dance or a global competition, line dancing remains a vibrant and evolving form of expression that I deeply enjoy.

• jaimelynn0814FEB
    jaimelynn0814FEB ✭✭✭✭

Ugh… Mine is not interesting at all!!

I have been in banking and finance for over 20 years. (that makes me feel so old!) So I know random facts about how to securitize just about any type of collateral. You want to use wine as collateral? I know how to do that… and I know what has to be done every year because guess what… people drink it, and it also evaporates naturally. You want to use a plane? great, did you know the shell of the plane has to be secured separately from the engine? same with a yacht. Want to use your divorce settlement? you can do that too? Stocks… yep. Art. Yep. Historical Maps… sure…. Cattle? Mink? Farm equipment? no problem. If it has value, there's a way to use it as collateral.

I have seen really random things serve as collateral and then the standard cars and homes. The most fun though was seeing mansions and private jets of well known people :)

• Deena Duran
    Deena Duran Overachievers

One surprising topic that I know a lot about is the television show Breaking Bad. I live in Albuquerque and will frequent some of the filming locations. Over the years, I have gotten to meet many members of the cast and crew (Byran Cranston, Aaron Paul, Vince Gilligan, Dean Norris, Steven Michael Quezada, Bob Odenkirk, Raymond Cruz, Luis Moncada, Daniel Moncada, and more). My husband has met a few more of the cast members than I have, as well. We have gone on the Breaking Bad RV tour through town and were able to answer all of the trivia questions between the two of us.

I am not an expert, but my husband and I regularly revisit the series when we want to watch something familiar.

Deena Duran, MA (She/Her)

🌟 Smartsheet Overachiever, Mobilizer, and Early Adopter 🌟

🎓️ Core App, Project Management, and System Administrator Certified 🏅

Senior Business Analyst

University of New Mexico Health Sciences

• Michelle Choate 2
    Michelle Choate 2 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several topics I know a lot about because they are either my hobbies or what I have my bachelor's degree in.

1.) Flute playing. I actually went to university to study flute. I still participate in multiple concert bands, theater groups (both playing and conducting), flute choirs, etc.

2.) Fiber arts. I crochet and knit making things for friends and family. I usually make Christmas presents each year for everyone out of crochet or knit items.

3.) Canning/Jamming. I love making jam that I then gift to our neighbors and friends and family. As well as keep a stockpile for myself. My favorite is blackberry.

This discussion has been closed.