Connect with peers, share your expertise, and inspire what’s next in Smartsheet — from proven practices to practical how-to insights from fellow users and product experts.
Sign in to join the conversation:
How can I prevent users from using the attachment feature altogether in a sheet?
Hi RobynTocco,
You'd need to share everyone to the sheet with Viewer permissions to prevent them from uploading attachments to the sheet.
That would prevent them from editing any other data in the sheet grid.
Viewers would still be able to download any attachments that you as the Owner attach to the sheet.
More info on the different sharing permission levels can be found in the help center: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/1155182-sharing-permission-levels
thanks for the reply. We would still need users to have edit functionality in order to change dropdown lists (eg. marking something from Not Started to Complete) but want to disallow attachment functionality as we want to eliminate the risk that confidential data could be uploaded as an attachment.
Hello,
You might consider switching them to Viewers to prevent them from uploading attachments (again, they can still download any attachments on the sheet), then send them automatic update requests when they need to change certain cells in the sheet.
More info on automatic update requests can be found in the help center: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/504779-using-update-requests
Hi,
Have you tried just hiding the column?
even if the column is hidden they can still access attachments via the sheet level attachment option.
Hiding it was my first thought too though
A solution that would be perfect for this use-case is the premium add-on, Dynamic View. Is that an option?
More info:
Would that work?
I hope that helps!
Have a fantastic weekend!
Best,
Andrée Starå
Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD
I am interested in disabling the attachment feature for anyone editing tasks in the plan, at any time. The attachment feature is something that can be a security risk. Some enterprises have specific file sharing tools that we need everyone to use so we can have some level of control over the data going in and out of our environment. If I could just shut off being able to upload or download any attachments, this could be a useful tool for us.
Hi John,
@John White
You can disable that in the Account Administration. See below.
Have a fantastic week!
✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!
Hi Andree,
where can I find these options?
Leonardo
Hi @Leonardo Scatena
I hope you're well and safe!
It's in the Admin Center, in the Security section under Attachment Controls.
Did that work/help?
Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!
Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD
✅Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!
Hi Andre,
This works great for controlling what data sources attachments can be uploaded from. Is there anyway to control who can download an attachment, or is it simply handled via the "Notifications and Requests" settings?
Thanks !
Can you send someone in your company view only access to a smartsheet sheet who does not have a smartsheet license? I need to send a coworker view only access to a comms plan I created in smartsheet.
I have a business account and have had for 6 years or so. I had to reset my google password manager this week due to an issue with a workspace account. I've just tried to login to smartsheet using 'login with google' and its made me a new smartsheet account with the same email. I've tried deleting this free account but I…
I have an automation copying rows from a source sheet to a destination sheet. The destination has additional columns that do not exist in the source. Those destination columns are set to centered and not bold, but newly copied rows come in bold and/or not centered, while others are fine. Columns are Text/Number Conditional…