Connect with peers, share your expertise, and inspire what’s next in Smartsheet — from proven practices to practical how-to insights from fellow users and product experts.
Sign in to join the conversation:
Is there a way to set up an alert on a sheet for when it is nearing the 5000-row limit?
Thanks!
You would need to use a helper column to establish how many rows are currently on a sheet. You could then set up a notification to trigger when the number in that column reaches a certain amount.
Hi Lisi,
To add to Paul's suggestion.
The helper column could be an auto number column if you're not using one for anything else.
Hope that helps!
Have a fantastic week!
Best,
Andrée Starå
Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting
Andree,
I thought about the auto-number column, but then there's the hassle of having to reset it if you happen to delete any rows.
Yes, of course! If that's the case!
Then it would be better to use a formula that would count only the actual rows.
I typically will reference a column that will always have text in it (task name for instance) and then use a straightforward COUNTIFS.
=COUNTIFS([Task Name]$1:[Task Name]@row, ISTEXT(@cell))
.
Of course you could always just reference the entire column and tuck the formula elsewhere and then trigger the notification off of that cell, but I use row numbers as a visual reference.
My particular uses involve actually displaying specific row numbers in some metrics (I believe it piggy-backs off of a solution you provided for something else) to give people the ability to quickly jump to past due tasks.
You're thinking of my TOC solution.
The SSFeatures browser extension alerts you automatically when any sheet approaches its limits - rows, columns, cells, or cross-sheet references.
By default it triggers at 80%, but you can customize the threshold.
No helper columns or formulas needed.
You can read more about this feature, and watch a demo video here:
Hope this helps!
Disclosure: I'm the creator of SSFeatures.
I'm building executive reports to show which projects are active by quarter. I have start and end dates for each project to show the active date range. The output I'm looking for is a report showing what was active last quarter. Another report showing what is active this quarter. And what will be active next quarter.…
Hello, I have automations enabled in several spreadsheets where, whenever any value is entered in a specific column, the entire row should be copied to another spreadsheet. The automation is configured so that the row is copied whenever the automation is triggered. However, I identified several cases that were properly…
Hello! I'm sure this is a basic question that I'm just missing the how-to on. Our orginization has a master schedule for the year. I need to take from that master schedule and populate a different sheet based on a date. For example, master schedule has a column of dates. Multiple rows will contain that date. I need to pull…