Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Exporting Excel formulas

I noticed that formulas, even simple formulas are not exported to a Excel. I have a big smartsheet where we created butcket that has additions per row (summarized) and we noticed that they're not exported as formulas in Excel. It's a shame because we have to start over in Excel an create template and data again.

Is there any workaround to export formulas to Excel??

Comments

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

See help on Exporting to Excel: http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/770623

There is a Note about excel Formulae there:

"NOTES:

• Because Excel doesn’t support a Gantt chart format, exporting a Gantt chart to Excel will only export the task list. Excel also does not support certain column types (drop down lists, contact lists, harvey balls, check box, etc), so exporting these will only preserve the text values entered into the column.
    • Due to the differences between Excel and Smartsheet formula syntax, formulas are also not preserved on export. Instead, store them as text by removing the equals sign and saving the sheet. Once you open the Excel file, you can add the equals sign back and modify the syntax to make the formula appropriate for that program."

May not be practical on Larger sheets.  Couls double up on Columns with Calculations in and place the calculation in it as text and hide it till you need to export then in excel go to the column and use find and replace to put an equal sign into it.  You would then also have the Expected result in the other column as a Check value.

• When I tried to do it, the column name is still the heading, so I don’t see how that can translate into A-Z columns.

This discussion has been closed.