Unsure how to make this work...

I can't quite figure out the best way to make this work. Essentially our Payroll team needs to utilize a unique sheet for every biweekly processing. I'm open to any way to make this work. Example picture of the sheet is attached. We have various steps (Description column) that need to be completed, but not necessarily on a specific date. Completed by column: to be filled out by contact completing activity. Completed date: Payroll manager wants this filled out by the contact when step is complete. Deadline: self explanatory. Responsibility: is a contact field that would have a name or two according to which specialty role needs to complete step.

So, I've made this into a template so the Payroll manager can create and archive each pay period step for audit purposes. I have various sheets that utilize automation, but this one I need to almost trigger the next row. So, the checklist is created via template, and the manager will input the date and her contact as creating it. I then need that to trigger an approval or action required of the contact(s) in the next row.

I might be overthinking this, but I can't come up with a solution that makes this simple for the team. A Gantt chart doesn't seem appropriate either. Ideas, thoughts, or comments appreciated!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Lillie Hansen

I hope you're well and safe!

Not sure I follow!

• Could you use the same sheet and then clear out the fields at the start of each period?
    • Use the same sheet but copy the same structure for each bi-weekly section
    • You could also copy everything to a so-called archive sheet before doing the reset in option 1

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andrée!

Thanks for responding. My question more so how to make the automation/workflows generate. If one person is filling out row 1, I want that action to then generate a workflow to the person assigned in row 2. Just not sure how to do that, might be a user brain fart!