Document generation workflow

I'm working on a document generation workflow that generates a PO and automatically emails it to external client.

It's going well but I have these two questions:

1. Document generator names each pdf that is submitted the same name. it is this name of the Document Mapping. Is there a way to automatically name the file something else that makes more sense?
  2. The sheet has to be refreshed to see the new row. The PO generates and email goes out automatically right away but no data shows up in the sheet. I guess this is fine as users will be submitting via form but is there a way to get that data to show up automatically?

Answers

• Hi, I have a solution to option 1.

I created a column that I titled "Report Title". I used a formula to add columns from my sheet to create row specific report titles. I hid this column once it was set up.

Example:

• jjesmith
    jjesmith ✭✭✭✭

ok that's cool. how does it change the file's name? do you set up an automation to use "Report Title" as the new name?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/24/23

Hi @jjesmith

I hope you're well and safe!

Use custom filenames for documents created with document builder

When you generate lots of documents and don’t use custom filenames, it can be hard to tell your documents apart, especially if they get detached from the sheet. To avoid confusion, you can use column formulas to generate a unique filename for each document.

1. Create a column for the filename, then use a column formula in that column. For example, use an account number column plus a last name column to generate the filename as follows:
     =[column1]+[column2]

1. Learn more about column formulas.
    2. In the mapping screen, drag the filename onto the Output document name field. 

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Please support the Community by marking the post(s) that helped or answered your question or solved your problem with the accepted answer/helpful, Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• jjesmith
    jjesmith ✭✭✭✭

Yes, that works amazingly. thank you.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jjesmith

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Please support the Community by marking the post(s) that helped or answered your question or solved your problem with the accepted answer/helpful, Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.