Permissions Workspace vs Sheet

Jenni
Jenni ✭✭✭✭

I want to set a Workspace permission for all members (except Owner and 1 Admin) to Editor - Can Share, which I'm able to do.

Within that workspace are some files that I want some of the members to have Admin permission, but still only have Editor permission for the other files in the Workspace.

When I open the sheet for Admin permission and change the permission for a user, it then changes their permission to that level for the whole Workspace.

Is there a way of having different permissions for the one user within a workspace?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @Jenni

Just wanted to hop in here to help clarify!

The "Share Sheet" window is showing you users shared to the sheet either directly or also through the Workspace Share.

You can see the difference by looking at the icon to the far right of the window. In your image, I can see that you're updating the user's sharing as "Admin" to the Workspace because of the people icon:

You will want to add this same user to the sheet for a second time with the higher permissions, instead of changing their current permissions.

Then you will see them twice - once with a People Icon (workspace permissions) and once with a Sheet Icon (sheet permissions).

Here's more information: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/522067-workspace-sharing#toc-share-an-item-in-a-workspace

Cheers,
    Genevieve

Answers

• Meg Y
    Meg Y ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jenni

Yes. Open the sheet, click on Share, and select sheet. This will only change permissions for that sheet.

Meg Young
    mmyoungconsulting@gmail.com

If this answer resolves your question, please help the Community by marking it as an accepted answer. I'd also be grateful for your response - "Insightful"or "Awesome" reactions are much appreciated. Thanks!

• Jenni
    Jenni ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Meg Y but that's what I did. It seems if the user has Admin permission to one item in a workspace, the permission to everything else in the workspace reverts to that permission.

• Jenni
    Jenni ✭✭✭✭

Screen snips taken sequentially as I updated permissions.

1. Start out with Workspace - Editor can share

2. Then open a sheet and make this person Admin in Sheet only

3. Then back in Workspace they are now Admin 🤔

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @Jenni

Just wanted to hop in here to help clarify!

The "Share Sheet" window is showing you users shared to the sheet either directly or also through the Workspace Share.

You can see the difference by looking at the icon to the far right of the window. In your image, I can see that you're updating the user's sharing as "Admin" to the Workspace because of the people icon:

You will want to add this same user to the sheet for a second time with the higher permissions, instead of changing their current permissions.

Then you will see them twice - once with a People Icon (workspace permissions) and once with a Sheet Icon (sheet permissions).

Here's more information: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/522067-workspace-sharing#toc-share-an-item-in-a-workspace

Cheers,
    Genevieve

• Jenni
    Jenni ✭✭✭✭

Thankyou so much @Genevieve P.

I've noticed in another workspace 2 entries for one person and couldn't work out why.

😁