Request an Update is Creating new row not updating the eixisting

I have an existing row that when a date is met triggers a Request for Update that contains a form link. The automation sends the email with the link. The link opens the form. The form is then updated and submitted. I want the response to update the line it was sent from but instead its creating a new line. How do I correct that?

Answers

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Kelly Mo,

You should use the update form that comes with the Update Request automation. In the "Message includes" section of the automation, select which fields should be sent in the email to the user for updating. Then the user will receive an email, and a button called "Open update form" will allow the recipient to open a special form that will update existing rows.

Don't send a link to a form that you've created because form entries always create new lines, and never update existing lines.

• When doing that is there a way the response generated from the user will allow the attachment of a form?

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The response to an Update Request is the user opening the Update Form, and making any necessary updates to the fields that were included/sent with the Update Request (automation).

The standard Smartsheet Forms live in grids. They are used to capture data to create new lines in grids. They are never used to update existing rows in the grids.

If a user is sent 3 columns to update via an Update Request Automation; the user will receive an email with an "Open Update Form" button. They will click on that, and a page will load with the 3 fields present. The values for these 3 columns/fields can be updated. New data can be entered, or if there is existing data it can be updated.

Typically you either use the Form you've created to capture new data/rows, or you use the Update Request to have users update existing rows of data. I don't understand what you are asking for by "is there a way the response generated from the user will allow the attachment of a form?" Please elaborate.

• Then is there any way for a user to provide an update document. Right now an original form submission collects an uploaded document. I need to idenitfy a way a user could revise that document based on a trigger.

Example. Insurance document expired on 12/31/22. The user has already provided me a copy of their insurance from which is attached to their row of data. On 1/1/23 I want them to be able to send me a new form that updates to their existing row of data automatically. Can it be done?