Wrong Sorting

I have an issue where I've created a report to pull information from multiple sheets and want to do two "groupings", one by "type" which is 3 Month, 6 Month, or 12 Month and then by "owner". Sorting by owner is no issue. When I group by type I want it to be in numerical order but whatever I do, it doesn't sort properly.

If I sort ascending then it sorts 12 Month, 3 Month and then 6 Month. If I sort descending then it sorts 6 Month, 3 Month and then 12 Month.

How do I get it to sort so it shows up 3 Month, 6 Month and then 12 Month?

Best Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Jodi C

Try sorting them Descending and add a period to the front of the 3 Month name. See if the period makes the 3 month appear first. If not a period, try another innocent character that doesn't make it look too bad.

I know why it's doing that. Its because SmartSheet is only looking at the first letter (or number in this case) and sorting it by that instead of realizing it's a number and seeing if another digit is following it. This is a situation of DumbSheets that needs an Enhancement Request to make it act properly.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/02/23 Answer ✓

Hi @Jodi C

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Mike's excellent advice/answer.

Another option would be to structure it like 01, 02, 03...

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers