Users created in smartsheet who are not part of the AD group

Options
LauraMac
LauraMac
edited 02/02/23 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi All,

My organisation is using smartsheet enterprise with SSO through Azure AD. The SSO works well when the user is added to the AD group before they sign onto smartsheet for the first time however we have a handful of users within my organisation (both licensed, unlicensed and some are sys admin) who have accounts in smartsheet but have not been added to the AD group.

Has anyone dealt with this before? I'm tempted to delete the users from smartsheet, and add them to the smartsheet AD group and see what happens - I'm not sure if this will cause ongoing issues. I want to manage all access for internal users through AD so I can assure they are assigned to the correct groups when added.

Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@LauraMac We have been working under SSO through AD for a year or so. It is clunky still, mostly because we were hesitant to automatically create SmartSheet account when new AD accounts were added. (I recommend you enable that).

We also have issues around licensed users that leave and have AD accounts shutdown before their SS objects are managed. (We use a SS "service account" to deal with those).

*** I would advise against just deleting SmartSheet accounts - it is fairly straightforward to get a list of all SS user accounts and then make sure all those addresses are in one of the matching AD accounts. ***

Once you get past that starting point, and have SS accounts created when AD accounts are set, things should run fairly smoothly.

dm