Any ideas on automatically creating workscope packages base on changed rows?

Options
mccoy_FSI
mccoy_FSI ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 02/08/23 in Show & Tell

I have a large database that users can make changes to, those changes are then put into a workscope for processing. I don't think I want to use the highlight changes feature, because sometimes the changes may stay in limbo before processing for more than a month or two, and I don't want to use show changes since I last viewed the sheet option because I do view the sheet often.

Currently I have it setup to copy the rows to another sheet when anything changes. That's fine, works great. However, on the new sheet I cannot see what was changed. I really need it to copy them to a new sheet and highlight what was changed in that row on the new sheet.

Any ideas?

Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@mccoy_FSI

What about using a form for users to submit requests for changes (to another sheet)? Then you'd have to make the changes yourself but you'd know what is being changed.

• mccoy_FSI
    mccoy_FSI ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @Mike TV, yeah I can do it this way but I want more streamlined workflow. When a data base entry is changed that kicks off an application process for my group. Then when approved the database is marked as approved and that data updates specific documents internally. It's important that it's a closed loop process, so I don't really want to build a workscope that is not directly tied to the database.

I think I'll create a couple sheets to copy the data too and build work scopes from. Because there are only a few main items in my database that change. So, when x changes I will move it to the X Change Sheet and when Y changes I will move it to the Y change sheet and then work on building a consolidated report from those. Not as clean as I hoped but I don't really see a way, other than with the change tracking on them main sheet, to capture what was changed in the row other than moving the row to different sheets depending on what changed. One problem is, sometimes both X and Y change, so then where do I send it? So, in the end, a form to build work packages like you mentioned might have to be what I do.

• bentley.peabody
    Options

Looking for a similar solution to track changes made to a portfolio of projects that all update the Intake Sheet (based off on the Template Set "Project Management Office." Copying rows to another sheet doesn't work as several of the columns are updated by cell links and this won't trigger a workflow automation.

I want to be able to see what changed between two dates. for example, what is different on the first of May vs the 1st of April.

Thanks!