Customized Workflow Notifications

Options

I am investigating the use of workflow notifications. In my sheet I have a parent row with a row for the Project Name. Each child row has the Task name. They use the same column.

I am wondering if it is possible to refer to the parent (Project Name) in a notification for a child task in the notification message content.

Thanks.

Pam

Best Answer

• Paul McGuinness
    Paul McGuinness ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Pamb10

It is but you will need to use a hidden helper column, please see example below. As notifications are row based and would be triggered based on activity in the child row, you simply need to bring the parent row project name down to each row.

Formula for copying - =PARENT(Parent@row)

You can then reference the Helper column in your notifications against the child tasks as and when triggered

Hope that helps

Thanks

Paul

Answers

• Paul McGuinness
    Paul McGuinness ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Pamb10

It is but you will need to use a hidden helper column, please see example below. As notifications are row based and would be triggered based on activity in the child row, you simply need to bring the parent row project name down to each row.

Formula for copying - =PARENT(Parent@row)

You can then reference the Helper column in your notifications against the child tasks as and when triggered

Hope that helps

Thanks

Paul

• Pamb10
    Pamb10 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you! This is an excellent idea.