If and Today functions

Trying to do an if and statement with today function that shows a response if the date is < today, not started, greater or = to a date and less than end date, "Not Complete" but I keep getting unparseable

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try something like this:

=IF([Start Date]@row> TODAY(), "Not Started", IF([End Date]@row>= TODAY(), "Not Complete", "Complete"))

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Ipshita
    Ipshita ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Missy Folkemer ,

You need to add another date type column next to your date column and name it Today in which just enter the formula for Today which is =TODAY() and then use the following formula -

=IF([Target Delivery Date]@row < TODAY@row, [Impact@row]:[Impact@row] = "High", 0)

where target delivery is your date column and Impact is your Status column, just make sure you have the status "Not Complete" in the column or the formula won't pick it up.

Cheers!

Ipshita Mukherjee

• I don't think I communicated it right. I have five steps in a process. Each step has it's own timeline, e.g. 1/18/23-2/15/23. If today's date is within the timeline of the phase, I want it to respond with what phase.

For example, if Client Engagement phase is 1/18-2/15, during that timeframe, I want the response to be "Client Engagement." Next is Discovery & Alignment and that phase is 2/22-3/1. When today's date is within that timeframe, I want the response to be "Discovery & Alignment." Next is Modeling and that timeframe is 3/6/23-3/31/23. If today is within, then it should say "Modeling." There are two more after that, but I think that gives you the idea. The timeframes are marked by columns "Start Date" and "End Date."

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to provide a screenshot of your sheet so we can see the structure and indicate where exactly you are wanting to put the formula?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• I want the Current Status to auto populate based on the day and what phase of the project they are in. Phases are highlighted in blue.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Right. So the formula I posted above should work for the Current Status column.

10xViz.com

• Could you give me more details on formula using the column names I have? Not sure if I'm following your example.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The formula I posted above is using your column names.

10xViz.com

• Just jumping in here - I agree with @Paul Newcome!

Have you tried copy/pasting his formula into your sheet, @Missy Folkemer? If so, are you getting an error or an incorrect result?

=IF([Start Date]@row> TODAY(), "Not Started", IF([End Date]@row>= TODAY(), "Not Complete", "Complete"))

It seems like you have a lot of blank cells, so I would maybe add in another statement at the beginning so this doesn't return any result:

=IF([Start Date]@row = "", "", IF([Start Date]@row> TODAY(), "Not Started", IF([End Date]@row>= TODAY(), "Not Complete", "Complete")))

Cheers,

Genevieve