Document Builder - Consolidation of information

Kelly R.
Kelly R. ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello

I would like to consolidate multiple rows into a document PDF. Example, If I have a vendor name with multiple parts listed, I want to be able to consolidate all of these parts for that 1 vendor into one pdf document. Is this possible?

Thank you

Kelly

Answers

• Ipshita
    Ipshita ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Kelly R.

Yes it's possible. To do this, export your sheet to an excel spreadsheet and then save that excel as a pdf doc. You can then go back to your source sheet where you are trying to generate the document, click on the relevant row and just add the newly created pdf - I tried it from the smartsheet formula sheet and I got the results - attached screenshot of the pdf I just generated with multiple rows.

Hope this helps!!

Cheers!!

Ipshita Mukherjee

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/13/23

Hi @Kelly R.

I hope you're well and safe!

Yes, but you'd need to add so-called helper columns in the same or another sheet. We'd consolidate all values on one row, and then you can use the Document Builder to create the PDF.

How many different data points can there be?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Kelly R.
    Kelly R. ✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå thank you very much. I could have up to 5 data points.

To start, I could have up to 5 different data points from one vendor that needs to be populated on the document. For the helper columns, having a hard time envisioning what this might look like. Can you provide a little guidance?

This is an example of what I would need to consolidate to the letter. Supplier "test" has all of these parts in different rows, and I need to capture them all to populate in my document?

Thanks,

Kelly

• Kelly R.
    Kelly R. ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello,

Looking to see if anyone can help with document builder?

Since the document builder generates based on row, I want to see how I can consolidate information so all of that information populates on 1 document. For Example, if I have Company X that offers 5 different staplers and all 5 staplers had a change to the size, I would like to create 1 document that would capture all of that information to notify customers.

I do not want to create a letter by row but rather consolidate those rows to produce 1 letter.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Kelly

• Hi @Kelly R.

You could use a JOIN(COLLECT formula to bring together all the values that match your criteria of "Company X" into one cell of a specific row, to then export that row into a document.

As an example, if you were using Hierarchy to organize your sheet by Company, you could JOIN the CHILDREN values together, like so:

Here's more information: JOIN FunctionCHILDREN Function

Cheers,

Genevieve