How do I apply conditional formatting to the header tasks in a Gannt Chart?

I know how to apply formatting to sub tasks in a Gannt chart but the formatting does not flow up into the header task? I want to be able to see the conditional formatting if I role tasks up?

Answers

• Ipshita
    Ipshita ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Josie

Conditional formatting takes into account and ties a column to another column by creating some relationship between the two, to change the color of either the cell or the row of that particular task. To make the conditional formatting available for a header row, you need to make the header row "unique", for example, choose the criteria "contains" and add a special character like # or * to your header rows and now you can choose your conditional formatting for the row, or the cell containing the value!

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

Ipshita Mukherjee

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Josie

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Ipshita's excellent advice/answer.

To change the conditional formatting of the Gantt chart you'd change it in the Task Bar section at the bottom.

Here's a method I use to automatically format different levels.

I usually add a so-called helper column called Level with the formula below, and then you can use it to identify parents and use it for conditional formatting and more.

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Task Name]@row)) > 0, COUNT(ANCESTORS()) + 1)

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Josie
    Josie ✭✭

Hi Andree,

Thank you for taking the time to assist me.

I do not know where the "Task Bar section at the bottom" is?

I have also tried Ipshita's suggestion and it does not work. Tested with a *

Here is my current setup. I would like the header bars to show as per the 2-4th rules.

Thank you,

Josie

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Josie

Happy to help!

Ok, I see. Unfortunately, it's not possible on the top level at the moment.

Please submit this as a Product Feedback or Idea (If it hasn't been added already) when you have a moment.

Please support the Community by marking the post(s) that helped or answered your question or solved your problem with the accepted answer/helpful, Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.