Change cell value automation not triggering automoatically

Options

I am trying to change copy a cell value when another condition is met.

The workflow I have setup works if I run the workflow manually but it doesn't trigger automatically.

I am clicking save and refreshing etc. The only way it works is to do it manually. This isn't an option as I will probably have 50 of the same automation as there will be lots of categories.

Tags:

Best Answers

• Julie Fortney
    Julie Fortney Overachievers
    edited 02/13/23 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Benji241. If you are able to trigger a workflow manually but it doesn't trigger automatically, check your trigger. In this case, your trigger is set to update the Status when a row is changed and the Status changes to "Not Required."

Instead, try this trigger:

www.linkedin.com/in/juliefortney-pmp-smartsheetpartner-lssblackbelt

• Ipshita
    Ipshita ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Benji241 -

I think your workflow is contradicting itself - because your trigger and action are the same in this case. How do you update Status when you are asking the workflow to use Status as the basis? Instead I would suggest, create your workflow like this -

When rows are added or changed -

Any field - changes

Run workflow - when triggered

Conditions -

when Select the "Category" column

is one of "Retaining Walls"

Action -

Change cell value in

Select column - Status - "Not Required"

Hope this works! Let me know...

Cheers! :)

Ipshita Mukherjee

Answers

• Julie Fortney
    edited 02/13/23 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Benji241. If you are able to trigger a workflow manually but it doesn't trigger automatically, check your trigger. In this case, your trigger is set to update the Status when a row is changed and the Status changes to "Not Required."

Instead, try this trigger:

• Ipshita
    Ipshita ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Benji241 -

I think your workflow is contradicting itself - because your trigger and action are the same in this case. How do you update Status when you are asking the workflow to use Status as the basis? Instead I would suggest, create your workflow like this -

When rows are added or changed -

Any field - changes

Run workflow - when triggered

Conditions -

when Select the "Category" column

is one of "Retaining Walls"

Action -

Change cell value in

Select column - Status - "Not Required"

Hope this works! Let me know...

Cheers! :)

Ipshita Mukherjee

• Benji241
    Options

Thanks all. That worked!

• Benji241
    Benji241 ✭✭
    edited 02/14/23
    Options

Actually. It worked too well. NoW when I make any change it changes. I only want it to change when it corresponds to the same category. i.e if i change the status on a row that has the category of retaining wall then change all of the rows with the category of retaining walls to not required.

• Ipshita
    Ipshita ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Benji241 - I am glad I was able to help!

Cheers!

Ipshita Mukherjee

• Julie Fortney
    Options

@Benji241

Oh, that is a different scenario. Is this something that you want to set up for every Category, or just retaining walls?

I'd suggest setting up some master rows for each category (or just one master row if you only want to do this for retaining walls). That way you can set the status in the master row, then use a formula to pull that status into all rows that match that category.

• Benji241
    Options

For every Category.

Ok, Ill give that a go. Although there are many different statuses and I only want one copied. Normally the statuses will all be different except when it is chosen as "not required". That means that type of work won't be required at all on the project so all items with that category are "not required"

• Julie Fortney
    Options

@Benji241

I see - how about this? This is a very rough mock-up, but it will give you a visual of using master rows, and displaying the "Not Required" status for any categories that were selected as such in the master rows.

You'll need to copy this formula down the status column on the task rows:

=IFERROR(INDEX(Status$1:Status$4, MATCH(Category@row, Category$1:Category$4, 0)), "")

I only set up four master rows, so note you will need to update the row numbers accordingly in the formula.

Keep in mind - if you manually update a status on a task, that will overwrite the formula. You would need to copy the formula back in if you want it to still reference the Status in the master row. It doesn't sound like that's an issue in your use case, but I wanted to mention it.