Sorting Rows while having locked rows

Hi There We are currently working on compiling a MASTER ORDER DOCUMENT, but we are hitting a few snags.

Is there any way we can sort the rows on the sheet, apart from the first 2 rows i.e Row 1 and Row 2. (We have tried locking these rows, but when sorting the data it still includes them in the sort).

The reason for needing these rows to remain at the top, is because we are explaining the use of each column to our staff. (We are all fairly new to Smartsheet and still trying to master the basics)

Best Answer

• Colleen Patterson
    Colleen Patterson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Luhann

When sorting, you are sorting, if you sheet is not huge, you can sort a selection of rows by the following process:

Sort a Selection of Rows

1. Highlight the rows by holding down the Shift key and clicking on the row numbers you want to sort.
    2. Right-click on the selected area and select Sort Rows.
    3. In the Sort form, enter your sort criteria and click OK.

If your sheet has a TON of data, you may want to create a check box in a column that is HOLD AT TOP, and then check the two you want to remain at the top. Hide the column, and use that as the first level of sort, when sorting items by.

Smartsheet Community Champion and Ambassador

If my answer helped you, please be sure to mark it as Accepted to help future learners locate the information.

Answers

• Colleen Patterson
    Colleen Patterson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Luhann

When sorting, you are sorting, if you sheet is not huge, you can sort a selection of rows by the following process:

Sort a Selection of Rows

1. Highlight the rows by holding down the Shift key and clicking on the row numbers you want to sort.
    2. Right-click on the selected area and select Sort Rows.
    3. In the Sort form, enter your sort criteria and click OK.

If your sheet has a TON of data, you may want to create a check box in a column that is HOLD AT TOP, and then check the two you want to remain at the top. Hide the column, and use that as the first level of sort, when sorting items by.

If my answer helped you, please be sure to mark it as Accepted to help future learners locate the information.

• Luhann
    Luhann ✭✭

@Colleen Patterson

Thank you for the assistance! The tick box option works! :D

We do have a TON of data we are working with and it is ever increasing.

For now we are going to stick with the tick box option, until a another solution pops up.

Have a great day!

• Colleen Patterson
    Colleen Patterson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Luhann Glad that I was able to help!